Existing Member?

The Labors of Bucephalus No matter how tedious life at times could become, one look out the window was enough to remind me that not far away, the world-and adventure-were impatiently waiting.-R. Morse

The Wailing Wall

ISRAEL | Wednesday, 27 February 2008 | Views [1352] | Comments [2]

My time spent at the Wailing, or Western Wall (The last remnant of the 2nd Temple built under King Herod) was in some ways a profound experience.  Little cardboard yarmulkes are distributed, and though the slightest breeze blows them off, you are required to wear them.  Within minutes of my arrival I was approached by a somewhat unconventionally dressed Jewish man (in stocking cap and trenchcoat)who immediately began educating me on the Jewish faith.  Reluctantly I followed him into an area seeming much too solemn for conversation, where Jewish men prayed and read, and where intricately designed scrolls containing the Torah were housed.  I did notice, from the glances of others, that this was an unpopular man, and after receiving his blessing upon me I found out why.  The ever-disappointing plea for money manifested itself for, what else?, an operation for his ailing mother. *sigh* Perhaps three seconds after beginning his pitch, an older gentleman, probably a rabbi, let him have it.  Unsurprisingly, it is seriously frowned upon to panhandle in such a sacred area, and the rabbi made it clear:"Do not give him money."  He didn't have to tell me twice, or even once for that matter.  I finally rid myself of my new "friend" and touched the Wailing Wall.  It is inevitable for myself to feel a swelling of emotion in the immediate face of such history, tradition and sanctity.  The mind reels, contemplating the religious significance of this small remnant of the 2nd Temple. 

Tags: People

Comments

1

I heard on the radio yesterday about a swit/swift ? (bird) that is migrating in Jerusalem right now and likes the Wailing Wall especially. Again, thank you for the awesome experience of 'traveling' with you.
I love you
Mom

  Ron Reuter Feb 29, 2008 12:59 PM

2

It's amazing how, wherever in the world you go, people are the same! I guess there's a Tom or an Al or even an Errol everywhere.

  Cindy Mar 15, 2008 11:20 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Israel

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.