Existing Member?

The Labors of Bucephalus No matter how tedious life at times could become, one look out the window was enough to remind me that not far away, the world-and adventure-were impatiently waiting.-R. Morse

Thessaloniki. *sigh*

GREECE | Friday, 1 February 2008 | Views [1635] | Comments [1]

Ah Thessaloniki, why have I come to grace your sprawled out city? A bit of advice, avoid this city. It's all the sprawl of Athens,with none of the landmarks. I will say people are much friendlier here, as not one, but three Greeks expressed interest in conversing with us! Sadly, for the first time ever, lonely planet let me down. Do not stay at the Hotel Acropolo. Sure, it's cheap, but so is sleeping in a bathroom of a subway station, which is about the level of cleanliness you can expect. I mean, the hundreds of burn holes in the circa 1970 linoleum floor were wholly tolerable, but the soiled plastic bag and half-eaten loaf of bread in our room ensured us that this was a xanax night, and wisely, a night to sleep in our clothes and pray we werent covered in cockroaches come morning. Sure, I can put up with filth like the next guy, but this place set the bar. SO much in fact that our erroneous decision to pay for two nights in advance was quickly reversed soon after viewing the room. (Thanks for being so cool Dimitri). Not even a TV to distract us from our squalid conditions. And speaking of television, Super Deal rocks! IT's the same concept as Deal or No Deal, except every time the contestant successfully picks a suitcase with a low amount of money, the whole audience breaks into song, and a veritable harem of women enter the stage and dance. Hilarious! There certainly needs to be more singing in unison in this world. But, I digress...Onward!

Tags: Misadventures

Comments

1

Jason & Andy,
This is terrific! The next best thing to being there.
Deb just bought a pretty red CRV. Sweet ride. Someone broke a Budweiser bottle on my sidewalk last night. That's all the exciting news from LaCrosse, for now...
Love you oceans! Jai

  jai johnson Feb 3, 2008 4:37 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.