Existing Member?

Summer Adventure

South Africa

SOUTH AFRICA | Sunday, 29 June 2014 | Views [444] | Comments [1]

It's my last day at the school and I feel very satisfied with the time I've spent here. I loved working with the kids and getting to know them outside of school also. I feel I was a pretty good teacher. It took awhile for me and the kids to get used to each other but towards the end the classes flowed and most of the students in the classes would get 100% on their homework. I was able to talk a lot with the teachers also and I was able to learn a lot about the school system here and how much they value education. For instance in grade 8 (the last grade before high school) there are some students who are 20 and up. One guy is 24 and he attends the night school for extra tutoring which I think is great. After grade 8, most students leave home to attend high schools/boarding schools. So, you can imagine the value of a college education. To graduate from high school is a huge deal alone.

I arrived in South Africa this morning and I'm loving it so far.

I went to the township and was able to visit my old kids and the teachers. I actually ran into Shelly, the teacher who was pregnant, while walking around in the township and she couldn't believe I was back. I was SO happy to see her. I spent time in the class with my old teacher and danced and sang with the kids then went outside to visit with the rest of the children and teachers. I was so happy to see everyone and be able to catch up.

Tags: bye kenya, cape town, muizenberg, south africa, southbound

Comments

1

Hello Honey,
it is so good to hear from you and knowing that everything is going well. we all are doing well here. We miss you so very much, jojo and I talk about you everyday waiting for the great day when you will walk into the classroom. But sweet and we will be here waiting for you, tell your children's hello.


Love you
Ms. Sharon, JOJO and Class

  sharon neal Jul 2, 2014 4:46 AM

About joytranae


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.