Existing Member?

One Europe to go, please!

Keep calm and take a broom stick!

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 8 May 2014 | Views [128] | Scholarship Entry

My last academic year lead me to the north east of the United Kingdom, the city of Durham to be exact. It might be a smaller city of around 40000 inhabitants, yet not less known. As many British places, Durham accommodates a cathedral, a castle, and a university . Nonetheless, the Durham cathedral isn't just any building. The first two films of Harry Potter were picturized in the cathedral and its garden. It is in a rustic condition but doesn't fail to impress since you expect small corridors and naves because, yes, it's only Durham! It was a breathtaking moment, not only experiencing the atmosphere of the holy site, but walking along the former hallway of Hogwards School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You could imagine students flying around on broom sticks, and some kind of magic was in the air. Even the old town of Durham reminds of Diagon Alley which demonstrates the wizardy shopping area located in the movies. The streets are narrow and uneven, filled with people browsing in small shops with large windows and old wooden window frames in all kinds of colors. Most of the places close at 5 pm already, but when the sun gets ready to set, it's the pubs and bars that lighten up the town. Nearly every place gets crowded, and people seem ready to allow the day to wind down with an icecold beer, or the very common cider. On the weekends, you see all kinds of people, doesn't matter how old they are or what size they wear, they are very dressed up and looking forward to a nice night out with friends. Coats or scarves are not necessary, everyone is just out to show off. Many are already drunk by 8 pm, tumbling along the street, or even laying by the sidewalk. Now, you might think there was a special occasion, but I can assure you that you get to experience those crashes every weekend, and it's not only men that are losing conrol. It's a mystery how you can even recognize a girl with all that make-up in her face and the fake eye lashes that seem to touch the eye brows. Their heels are so high, most of them cannot even walk. And even when it's snowing, the least painful way seems to take of your heels and to hot foot it from one club to another. Maybe it's just Durham. Maybe they carry Harry's broom stick somewhere with them. And when it gets unbearable, they hop on and take wing.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About journeurope2014


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.