Existing Member?

Josh and Shona's Excellent Adventure

A dash through Vietnam

VIETNAM | Thursday, 15 March 2012 | Views [698]

In the socialist republic of Vietnam, facebook is blocked. Yes, socialist may be in the title, but it was still a slightly communist Vietnam that greeted us. And in the Northern capital of Hanoi, there was no doubt who won the war. But Vietnam is more than just a war, I read that on a t-shirt. Its also a great place to shop, here there is no shame in seeing just how far a few dollars will go. 
In our guidebook Vietnam was described as an evolving country, on the move and reinventing itself. And that bit was true. It was the only thing in the book that seemed true, so many places had either closed down, renamed or relocated. The guidebook was also off the mark describing Hanoi as graceful and charming.
But our next stop, Hoi An, was a fantastic destination. Kinda like a Disney version of Asia, only real, the place was gorgeous, its buildings effortless drawing your camera out of your pocket for another quick photo and before you'd realised you've filled your memory card, there you are, sitting enjoying another fruit shake considering which way you'll next wander, loafing lazily in its uncrowded streets. Already I need to buy another backpack, for a few more dollars, since I've picked up a heck of a lot of new clothes. Hoi An is also the best place in the country to buy new clothes. That backpack branding was authentic too.
A "character building" 10 hour train ride to Nha Trang brought us to something like the Vegas of Vietnam. Or maybe Surfers Paradise. Anyway with plenty of beautiful sand, hotels and indulgence all around it was the kind of place where you'd wake up sunburnt, hung-over and with the sniffles all in the same morning. 
And that's were it all started to fall away. It had been an exhausting trip. And the previous events of wedding silliness resulted with two rather lethargic travellers. Saigon, our last port of call in Vietnam made an exciting start. Its very name inspires visions of the unknown and it impressed us with its enthralling dose of intensity. But for me it all came to an end with more propagandist speil about the American war - I will say that the war in Vietnam was stupid, incredibly stupid as all wars are - but both sides were guilty of the most horrendous crimes, just the US undeniably moreso. I just don't need more graphic pictures of what happened. Or be reminded of how shocking the health defects caused by chemicals I work with daily are.
Vietnam, we didn't do it justice with our whirlwind timeframe, but whilst it may try its best to be the next big thing, and deservedly so, it will always have its dark past.

Tags: vietnam

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.