Existing Member?

Josh and Shona's Excellent Adventure

Campaigning for Cambodia

CAMBODIA | Monday, 27 February 2012 | Views [692]

Cambodia, it will bring a tear to your eye. Maybe cause I bit into an inconspicuous chilli, or perhaps its the horrific details of the genocide the country suffered, or the still visible exploitation of young children, but the country will drive itself straight into your heart and mind.
The country's crushing heat and humidity combined with the huge emotional and financial challenges makes every day seem an insurmountable obstacle, but the people, the Khmer, so unbreakable, determined and upbeat turn each day we've spent here truly wonderful and treasured. 
Then there is the food. Consistently impressive. Its not just that each breakfast, lunch and dinner has been fabulous, its also that the fruit, bananas, mangoes and pineapple have blown me away, and my high standards have never been met, so consistently anywhere else in the world. All for a pittance.
And that's the next heart wrentching story. The problems inflicted by other countries, the wars, the famines, the land mines, have left the nation so crippled, yet a few dollars changes lives. Its a common story of the world, but seeing United Nations and Unicef vehicles on a daily basis remind us of the constant threat the country's people tolerate and how simple it would be to change if the rest of the world only knew.
But don't come to Cambodia to see the worst of it. Come here to see the best. The people. The food. The temples. The adventure. The ability to feel like James Bond, Indiana Jones and Lara Croft all in a heartbeat. And of course, the Tuk Tuks.

Tags: cambodia, land mines

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.