Existing Member?

Josh and Shona's Excellent Adventure

Its not all about the Rockies

CANADA | Saturday, 11 September 2010 | Views [569]

How were the Rockies?” and with a deep breath, some awkward facial expresssions and hand gestures I do my best to say something nice. For you se as we head out of Canada, we've clocked up over 5000km of driving and seen so, so much.

There was over 3 days of driving along the Alaska Highway. Plunging twists and bends, bears, buffulo, caribou, deer, elk and mountain goats were all part of the scenery driving from Alaska across The Yukon and northern British Columbia.

In the evenings we'd try to sit up and watch the stars come out, but even by 10pm a dull glow on the western horizon kept the night sky at bay. We begged the northern lights to come out and dazzle, but unfortunately they were very quiet and we saw no displays.

Entire lakes, valleys and mountain ranges were ours to enjoy and we soaked up the wide spaces and freedom like sponges.

And then came the Rockies. Tourist hoardes, wet weather and over pricing. This is why I can say little positive about this grand part of the world. So I'll move on. An elk did wander through our campsite in Jasper which was very cool. And Emerald Lake, which is as every bit as good as Lake Louise except without the busloads of tourists, was very special.

My hands are hardening like setting concrete. Freezing nights, wet mornings and 3 straight weeks of living outdoors has added more than a little starch to my once delicate digits. Add the occasional misguided tent peg hammering incident, wood chopping entanglement and fire poking gone wrong and my hands resemble something more err masculine.

Soon we'll be arriving at Yellowstone National Park and they better have some bloody moose there. We've spent hours searching, seeking, waiting, wanting to glimpse these bizarre creatures. Wasn't Rocky and Bullwinkle set in Yellowstone?

The world's most indirect travellers, Josh and Shona.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.