Existing Member?

Josh and Shona's Excellent Adventure

san fran to yosemite national park

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 27 April 2009 | Views [578] | Comments [1]

so we were sitting in san diego having problems decideing where to go and how to get there.  Buses were good but not great and it was all getting to hard as we wanted to hire a car one way and that is expensive.  so i looked up virgin america and we could get to san fran rather cheaply.  


so a new plan was formed we would fly to san fran hire a car for two weeks and do a loop.

wednesday morning we packed up and flew off, hiring a car from a small time rental company with a rather laid back american steve we were soon on our way to yosemite national park.

our accommadation for the next two night was yosemite bug hostel and lodge where we were sleeping in a tent cabin.  being 1500m above sea level it was cold!

thursday we sit off for the park about an hour away to hetch hetchy dam and park.  we went off on a 5 mile hike around to the dam to waipoma falls.  it was a great hike and had great fun walking under the falls and getting soaked.  was the highlight of yosemite for us both.

well the next bit not sure if we are laughing about it yet.  we started driving heading to the village where we went left instead of right. josh was driving and seemed to know what he was doing so i left him to it and fell asleep.  woke up 20mins later thinking this does not look like the way we came.  pulled out the gps, and yes we had been going the wrong way for the last 30mins.  a turn around and change of drivers we were back on our way again. 

yosemite village was full of people, cars, roadworks and not much else. we made it back to our cabin for dinner and bed.

Friday: my birthday we headed back to the park for a walk to yosemite falls, these falls were huge and dry out by the middle of summer so was quite amazing to see. 

we then headed out of the south entrance of the park over a beautiful pass stopping for lunch by a river along the way. as  we were off to sequioa national park.

overall yosemite is a beauiftul site to see as you are in this valley surrounded by such dramatic cliffs all around you. was a wonderful first national park to see.


shona and josh

us getting all wet from the falls

us getting all wet from the falls

 

Comments

1

Hey Shona! Really enjoying the travel journal.....makes me very jealous and wanting to get out of work and into the wide world ASAP!! Pics are all brilliant too. I liked Los Angeles though! Mostly as some guy asked me if I could give him some chamge and when I did he asked where I was from. When I told him NZ he said that was "bad ass" which is not something I necessarily associate with myself!! Take care. Carol

  Carol Apr 27, 2009 6:25 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.