Existing Member?

Josh and Shona's Excellent Adventure

First Impressions

USA | Wednesday, 22 April 2009 | Views [408] | Comments [1]

America. Home of the brave they say. Home of the weirdos says me.

What a fucked up country. I've never encountered such an eclectic, mismatched, disturbing assortment of people. I've only actually come across 3 distinct types. Tourists, Weirdos and Marines. All of which should be avoided at whatever cost. These people seem to talk whenever they feel like it, regardless of whether anyone is listening. And yet, when you ask them something, they can't give you an answer.

I said before I left that I wanted to see something offensive. By which I meant, an example of sloth, or gluttony etc that only America could do. I saw it. And it was disgusting. American indulgence / obesity/ extravagence / ignorance / stupidity abounds in bucketloads.

But there have been some defiant highlights. Leaving for example. We spent a lazy day in Mexico. A very, VERY casual border crossing (through a turns aisle on foot) and we entered Mexico. We wandered around just crossing things off the "Things to do in Mexico" list. I experienced chimichangas, enchiladas, tequila, margaritas, coronas and nachos. But I passed up all (and there were many) offers of prescription (and non prescription) drugs, silver, blankets, wallets, jewellery and a whole host of other crap. Tijuana seems to be the place where you've downed a tequila shot and margarita and have a corona in your hand before lunch.

But San Diego (which is where we are at the moment) has been pretty good too. The zoo was commendable, but I guess seeing a majestic animal locked in a small enclosure just doesn't do it for me. It apparently, was the hottest day EVER yesterday. I disputed that April would be the month when this happened but apparently it was.


Los Angeles was just plain shit. Don't go there. Ever. We spent only 2 nights there and I couldn't wait to leave. We indulged at Magic Mountain whilst there, so I suppose it wasn't a complete waste of time.

We should have some far more fantastic tales of adventure very soon. Tomorrow we fly out to San Francisco and are renting a car for 2 weeks. (This decision was only made yesterday) and plan to see the country's best national parks and big drawcards like the Grand Canyon, Red Rocks and Yosemite.

Until then you'll have to stay tuned for the next installment from Josh and Shona - the worlds most indirect travellers.


(PS Yosemite National Park has Wireless Internet)

Tack, tack and more tack. Love it.

Tack, tack and more tack. Love it.

Comments

1

Like the photo. Hats suit you both but hope you haven't brought one!!!
P.S. Didn't Shona have a horse? (Dads comment)
John thinks the same about American's Josh from when he was at San Jose.
Hope your birthday tea was great tonight.
Love Mum & Dad L.xxoo

  Elaine & John Llewellin Apr 25, 2009 2:43 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.