Existing Member?

Elbo (elsewhere-bound) May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. I will be updating this journal on my adventures in Albania 05/06/13 - 05/09/13.

The last two days

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 12 June 2013 | Views [668]

Today being Wednesday.

On Monday I was up early to cycle into Shkoder to buy a backpack, I didn't want to spent too long in the city because one of the campers, Lukas, whom I had befriended was leaving and I wanted to say bye. The cycle in was much improved my a change of bicycle, the one I had used originally only worked in one gear, which was neither good for bumpy lanes, nor uphill. I did the cycle in 30 minutes rather than 45. There was occaisional rain, but it stayed warm all day.

I found a sturdy backpack (9 euros) pretty swiftly, and was also successfully tempted by a fake Rolex watch (8 euros) and Ralph Lauren wallet (3 euros). A small italian restaurant across from the university filled my stomach with a large Spaghetti Carbonara (2 euros). The main high street, which was recently renovated, is a line of cafes, with seating filling the gaps between shops.

cafe

c

l

Upon returning, I said goodbye to Lukas and his dog, Bonnie. For the rest of the day, I chilled out and finished my book 'A walk across America' by Peter Jenkins. I am now reading 'From the city, from the plough' by Alexander Baron. 

In the evening, we were blessed with another beautiful sunset, they seem to grow in beauty each day.

sunset

sun

s

The beach is too good.

beach

 


Tuesday arrived with incredible heat in the morning, a suffocating wake up call in the tent. Due to this, my boss offered me some left over bamboo that was not used when building the canopies (see pictures above). So I had spent a day or two considering how I would use the bamboo for shade, and with the temperature right and my plan in order, I began construction.

bamboo

the spotbamboo shavings

mess

With all of this mess and preparation, I finally put up a frame!

frame

Work in progress!


There was a big lightning and thunderstorm last night, and so all the bamboo is wet. If it dries out this afternoon I will continue, but if not I will  have to do it tomorrow. I feel like I'm in a tropical paradise, I have seen wild lizards, snakes, frogs and turtles. The birds have beautiful songs and the fish swim around your feet in the shallow water. I am also ridiculously tanned.

Peace!

 

Bonus:

I now understand why Albania has been dubbed 'The Thailand of Europe'.

thai

 

Tags: albania, bamboo, building, cafe, camping, construction, cycle, fake

About josephuck


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.