Existing Member?

The Wizard of Oz and Other Tales

Singapore and trip to Tioman Island

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 21 June 2012 | Views [1230] | Comments [1]

We arrived to Singapore on Thursday 14th as the plan was. Flights were operated through Qantas, but the first flight however was operated via Air Lingus. (Dublin-Frankfurt). From Frankfurt we connected with Qantas to Singapore. It was a bit shocking to step out from the Singapore airport to  hot and humid climate. (30°c+ something), after not being able to enjoy the summer weather in Dublin.

In Singapore we stayed only two nights but we were pretty effective with our time planning. First night we had a walk in a nearby area of our hostel and Little India, which was just next to the area we were staying.
Next day we visited the center and the river area, Orchard road and China town.
We especially liked the atmosphere in Chinatown with all of its bustling street life
and the street food markets. I also had time for a massage while Michele had good time to enjoy the happy hour beer. Singapore is very modern, clean and safe city and easy to get around everywhere.

After two days in Singapore we packed our backpacks again and headed to a bus station to take an express bus to Mersing. Mersing is the city in Malaysia where you can take a  ferry to Tioman Island. The first bus station we were guided by our hostel staff was wrong and there was no bus at this time of the day. Next bus station we were guided turned to be a right one, but the express bus was already sold out. Again, we were guided to another bus station "local one" where there is no direct bus to Mersing, but taking few extra steps you can get to mersing as well. We walked around a half an hour under a burning sun with our heavy backpacks, trying to find the right place, and we were as wet as we had swum in a swimming pool. Finally we found the place but instead of waiting 10 minutes for the bus, we waited an hour. Everything in total, buses, border controls both in singapore and Malaysia took 3-4 hours. There were so many people everywhere and it was so chaotic, all the pushy asian people pushing you and taking your way. We heard later on that Saturday was the worst day to cross the border. We arrived to Mersing finally in that late afternoon but unfortunately we missed the last ferry for the day so we took a simple cheap room in Mersing for one night.

Next day, Sunday the 17th we finally arrived to Tioman Island via morning ferry. We are staying on the ABC beach in a place called Bamboo Hill. We are staying in one of the wooden chalets, simple but nice. There are no air condition or hot water, or any other modern  equipments such like TV. BUT, the most important thing, our balcony is just above the sea and the beach, and we have a beautiful view to the ABC beach area. This place is one of these places where you can open your terrace door in the morning and have your morning coffee just in there, feel the sea air and the sun.


Tioman Island itself is a quite primitive place with only few restaurants, bars and minimarkets. There are no people selling anything or walking after you or trying to sell their artisan products. Actually there aren't really anything to buy or to go shopping, so perfect place to Michele to be a holiday with me. Just relaxing in the sun,eating, sleeping and enjoying some happy hours in the beach bars. We have also found Malaysia very cheap, even though we have heard something else as well. At least Tioman Island turned to be so, maybe other places in Malaysia can be pricier. We have usually spent between 4-6 euros for a luch/dinner with beverages for 2 people. Yesterday we spent a bit more than 3 euros for a total bill. Not too bad at all.

The first day we were in Tioman in the happy hour bar we also bumped into 2 Finnish guys. And they were also from Tampere originally. They were talking to an Aussie couple and I said to Michele right away that for sure they are Finnish, as you can recognize the accent. And so they turned to be. We also found out out that they are our wall neighbours in the Bamboo chalet.

The second day we heard they are showing Euro games on the beach, where they had put a big screen. Only problem is that all the matches have been shown at 2:45 local time, in the middle of the night. On Monday we really tried to stay awake late and watch the Italy-Ireland match. We even took a nap in the evning and went out only at 11 pm. Despite of this I could not stay awake and finally we did not see the match.
The problem is that our day rhythm has been the opposite, waking up quite early and going to bed early enough.


We also rented bikes the other day and had a nice cycling trip to the next village, Tekek. In Tekek village we found also a duty free shop, bank and and internet cafe.
For today we booked a coral reef/snorkeling day trip but for our bad luck there were no other people goinf and the minimum amount of people is 3-4. They said we could have gone anyway but then we needed to pay extra, so we decided to postpone it for tomorrow. Since today there weren't people going, for sure tomorrow there are. After the trip was cancelled, the little thunder storm started and few drops of rain. So it was good that we did not go today after all. Today was a perfect time to chill out in a Bamboo Hill and check online.
The owner of the place, Ben, half English half Malaysian is really nice person to talk to. You can't see the English of him thought, because he looks and behaves like Asian and he has always lived in this Island.
The weather here has been almost unbearable hot so we did not mind too much of the fact that we could not go to the beach this morning. Or you can go, but there are more clouds today- the temperature is the same anyway. Maybe the sun appears later.
Yesterday and day before we were also lucky to spot and group of monkeys. They are going around here all wild. For our luck they stayed half an hour playing and eating next to the road.

On Saturday we are leaving Tioman and heading back to Singapore. So one full day more of paradise and then back to civilization.In Singapore we still have two more nights before flying to Perth on Monday afternoon. We are going to miss the atmosphere here and will be back another time.

Tags: beach, malaysia, singapore, snorkeling, tioman island

Comments

1

hey guys, have a great time and keep posting.. enjoy!

  simo Jun 22, 2012 4:38 AM

About jomppa_and_miki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.