Existing Member?

African Archives Traveling is so much better when you can give something back.

Carpe Diem

SOUTH AFRICA | Monday, 21 June 2004 | Views [577]

The tiles arrive

The tiles arrive

It is the first day of winter and, surprise, it rained during the night.  Will my jeans ever dry?  There isn’t much to report on.  We finished all the little painting chores on Saturday and Sunday and joined Noel, Helen and a dozen of their friends and family for a Father’s Day lunch at the lodge.  I didn’t even know it was Father’s Day.  Thanks, kids!

Today the tiles arrived – 110 boxes of tile, 65 bags of adhesive – thanks to the generosity of the Duemke Family Trust.  DeWildt’s intentions far surpass their finances and without Emmett and Marsha we would be spinning our wheels.  Even so, we got the large bedroom nearly finishes and will work tomorrow AM then head north for a couple of days to work with Deon and Kelly.  We’re finally getting a chance to contribute to the real cause. 

Just so you don’t get the idea that nothing goes on during the ‘no entry’ days, I want to explain. My credo, ‘Carpe Diem’ is not unique but has never been more sincere.  Every day is special.  There is always something new to make me smile – inside or out.  (Connie makes every day extra special.  But at the risk of making others sick, I don’t include that.)  A new bird, the smell of morning, a gangly school girl, the purr of a cheetah, the colors of sunset, the smell of wood smoke, the night stars, a nightjar’s cry, sun on the flowers, a smile form one of the African girls – any or all of these and countless more, make everyday a special one.  Look around – open your eyes and your heart!

About johnandconnie

Perqs of volunteering

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.