Existing Member?

African Archives Traveling is so much better when you can give something back.

Walvis Bay

NAMIBIA | Sunday, 30 May 2004 | Views [923]

A few of the hundreds of thousands of flamingoes; Walvis Bay, Namibia

A few of the hundreds of thousands of flamingoes; Walvis Bay, Namibia

Back home this is the Memorial Day week-end where in a former life we would  be ---- camping!  Here in Namibia where our campsite is nestled between the Atlantic Ocean and the Namib Desert, it’s a little different.  The last time we camped within earshot of the ocean waves it was at Padre in Texas on the Gulf.  But here the sun sets over the ocean and the beach extends hundreds of miles deep into the desert.  

This morning after breakfast we drove to Walvis Bay to see the flamingos.  Supposedly two million of them visit here but today there couldn’t have been more than 400,000.  We didn’t feel deprive though.  They are a brilliant pink in color standing on their stilt legs, sometimes on a single stilt.  And when they fly it is fabulous.

On the way back we detoured back into the desert – the only choice if you don’t have a boat – and climbed ‘Dune Seven.”  It rises 300 feet and after a windy night there are no footprints, only virgin sand.  It is just like a snow climb but instead of crampons you dig in with your bare toes.  It was strenuous work but we had a great view and a running slalom descent.

We headed back to town to see the Swakopmund Museum where we learned about the history and culture of the Namibian peoples, several distinct ethnic groups, in fact, and a great deal about uranium mining in Namibia.  After lunch it was the Namibian Aquarium followed by a beer (or two) and wine for Connie, chips and onion rings on the ocean front.  Total cost - $10 including tip.

 

About johnandconnie

Perqs of volunteering

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Namibia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.