Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Hama, Syria

SYRIA | Sunday, 7 December 2008 | Views [622]

The main draw to Hama is the "Norias" or waterwheels.  They are made of wood and date back to the Roman era.  Originally they were used to facilitate irrigation in the surrounding fields.  They're around now mainly for the aesthetic quality.  They make a haunting groan as they are moved by the current in the river.  This trip was a more interesting one because we were with the girls.  First, because of the stares we got from the men in the mainly conservative Hama as two Syrian women walked around with two western dudes.  I think the girls were uncomfortable.  They had to wear they're Hijabs here too.  The cool part was going to the big Noria Al-Muhammidiya and meeting the guys who kept the wheels in operation.  They couldn't speak English, and my Arabic sucks so the girls translated for us.  Made it a unique experience.  One of the waterwheel carpenter guys took it upon himself to walk us around the main waterwheels and the old citadel part of the city.  It was cool because we got into a bunch of stuff that normal tourists aren't allowed.  As you'll notice with the picture of me doing pull-ups on the water wheel.  Or the girls standing on one of them.  Not much to see in Hama other than that.  It was a good day though, other than having to say goodbye to the girls.

Tags: hama, norias, syria

 

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Syria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.