Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

Damascus, Syria

SYRIA | Sunday, 7 December 2008 | Views [727]

Ok, I'm finally writing my Damascus thing.  Obviously, I liked it there.  Three days turned into two weeks.  It was difficult pulling myself away from there.  We went to a Sheesha bar everynight next to our hotel.  It was the type of place you shake hands and say hello to ten different people when you walk in the door.  A mixture of random people coming up to say hi and chat, to flirting with the local girls (which can be a recipe for disaster) to listening to the live music of traditional Lebanese songs played on the Oud made this the perfect spot to hang out at night.  Me and Kyle met two Syrian girls named Rasha and Razan.  On the first night, they taught us how to play backgammon.  We met them there every night after.  We met some of their friends, and they showed us around Damascus.  A mixture of sightseeing, and trying different foods.  I've had every Syrian treat imaginable, including goat brain, intestines, hoove soup, and goat head.  Damascus is probably one of my favorite cities I've been to so far, and definitely the highlight of this trip thus far.  It's been two days and I already miss it.  Syrians have been the friendliest most hospitable people i've met anywhere in the world so far.  Well, I'll keep heading North, hopefully I don't find an excuse to go back.  I've still got a lot of ground to cover.

Tags: damascus, sheesha, syria

 

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Syria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.