Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Happy Easter from New York!

USA | Sunday, 31 March 2013 | Views [593]

I nearly skipped Easter mass today because I was slightly hesitant about going to a foreign church. I was unsure of how the mass would be, what the parish was like, what the dress code would be, among all the other things a fearful person might wonder about and use as an excuse not to go.
 
I decided not to give in and went for the 10.30 mass at Queen of All Saints, a quick seven minute walk from where I'm staying. At first, while walking along the side of the church, I withdrew back into my fears because there was no sign of a crowd or any music. "Maybe people don't go to church here", I thought and was ready to retreat. 
 
I was so wrong when I turned the corner into the main entrance. I swung open one of the heavy intimidating doors with the help of a parishioner, and was immediately greeted with smiles and music. 
 
The church was a sight to see with the most intricate stained glass windows that scaled from its high ceiling to floor. People intermingled with each other regardless of race, age or status. Most wore the Sunday best, a rarity in Australia and Malaysia, with men in suit and tie, and women in their gorgeous dresses. I was glad to have made the effort too.
 
I couldn't have felt more welcomed. In all honesty, it was the best mass I've ever been to. There was no sense of animosity to latecomers - they were quickly welcomed and aided by friendly ushers who found them seats. Surprisingly, there was not even a screaming child or one running amok along the aisles. When it came to giving peace, there were no stony reservations. Everyone in my pew and the ones before and behind me, offered me a strong handshake and a sincere smile. At the end of the mass, the priest stood outside and shook each attendee's hand and wished them a happy Easter. Even though I wasn't part of it, I was made to feel  like I was part of the community.
 
In the week that I've had here, I've encountered so many things worthy of documenting but too many to do so. It's as overwhelming as the collection in the Met! I've walked through and appreciate the culturally varied streets of Brooklyn. I've been in awe of the beauty and enormity of Central Park. I've been blown away by the skyline views at the top of the Empire State Building and the Rock. I've been overwhelmed with the quality and quantity of collections at the Met and MoMA. I've serendipitously gone for an "Originals" hip hop party at Santos where they played really good old school New York hip hop and rap. I've enjoyed the company of real New Yorkers. I've licked the delicious flavour of NY's number one doughnut  off my lips at the Brooklyn Flea. I've gone shopping and unleashed the once very dormant shopping bone in me! I've crossed over the famous Brooklyn bridge on a beautiful sunny day. I've watched a fantastic Broadway production of Jersey Boys with the actor who originally played Frankie Valli. Even learning to use the subway is an experience and I've had the opportunity to  watch a breakdance performance on the 6 train!
 
But this is New York, the mecca of all cities. There's more things to see, do and experience all the time. I'm thankful for my very local experience of NYC. 
 
I completely heart this city.
 

Tags: bucket list, churches, cities, friends, landmarks, music, nights out, public transport, sightseeing, usa

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.