Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

I love Alaska!

USA | Tuesday, 5 March 2013 | Views [501]

I'll say it loud and proud, I love Alaska!

Only 3% of tourists coming to Alaska make it into the Artic Circle and of that, an unknown but suspiciously small percentage bother to come during winter. I am in that very minority group and am happy where I stand. 
 
I was a little worried in Anchorage when pretty much everybody said it was a bad decision to go and that I should stay for Iditarod. But I am so happy that I stuck with my decision and left. What awaited me was far more beautiful than the beauty already in front of me.
 
To be absolutely honest, I was really questioning myself when I got to Fairbanks. While the train ride showcased great scenery unlike anything else I've seen, I was cold and starting to battle with a throat infection.
 
The throat infection inevitably got worse and I eventually lost my voice for a day. The cold became colder. But being with such an enthusiastic bunch of Artic Circle first timers made the drive to ColdFoot a little easier.
 
I can never do justice to the wonderful experiences in ColdFoot by trying to describe them in words. For seeing the Aurora fill the sky and dance in front of you, for warming up in a classic Alaskan cabin on a cold night, for that first moment when the sled dogs pull you, for waking up to the crazy beautiful scenery, for the great hospitality you receive from the very few people you meet and the dogs, you will have to experience it yourself. It was such a great place to be in the most unexpected location! It offered me a personal experience which I doubt I would have gained from the Iditarod and which I will hold in my heart forever. 
 
I can't believe I did it but I'm so estatic I did!
 
Miss you heaps!!! xxx

 

Tags: animals, bucket list, friendly strangers, nature, northern lights, sick, snow, usa, winter

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.