Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Junbesi (Day 3)

NEPAL | Monday, 7 October 2013 | Views [563]

Altitude: 2675m.

It's a beautiful day. The sun is shining and the skies are a happy shade of azure blue, laced with white fluffy clouds. The grass is a lush green and the children are flying kites outside in the teahouse's backyard. Looking out, the scenery is absolutely beautiful. We're in a valley comfortably sandwiched between two hills of healthy evergreen forests.

We visited the local monastery yesterday and walked around the main section of the village. I always enjoy a visit to a place of worship, regardless of what religion. They are all beautiful in their own right. It's so visible and tangible that their intricate beauty stems from good intentions and a innocent desire to please the divinity.

Most Sherpas are Buddhists, very similar to those in Tibet if not the same. I love their style of prayer that is so integrated with nature - colourful prayer flags dancing in the wind, prayer wheels that generate their prayers when spinned, and mani walls and chortens, made up of prayers chiselled onto stone, that allow prayers to grow and age with nature. Isn't it a beautiful concept?

I'm liking my time in this quiet peaceful Sherpa village. The owner of our teahouse, Sagarmatha Lodge, is such a genuinely kind and friendly man, just like the rest of the people here. Life is simple and it is happy.

PS. My knee is getting better and we're hoping to leave tomorrow as planned!

 

 

 

Tags: friendly strangers, nature, nepal, outdoors, religion, spirituality, trekking

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.