Existing Member?

UK Italy Germany 2014

Bach's wedding at Dornheim

GERMANY | Wednesday, 30 July 2014 | Views [287] | Comments [1]

Joan playing the organ at Dornheim, where Bach was married to Maria Barbara

Joan playing the organ at Dornheim, where Bach was married to Maria Barbara

In 1707 aged 22 Bach married Maria Barbara at the tiny village of Dornheim, in the church of St Bartholomew where his friend was the pastor. The couple walked the 4 kilometres from Arnstadt at the head of a happy procession, recently re-enacted by the locals. The warden who was quite old, gladly opened the little church after we drove round to knock on his door as directed by a sign, and then he proudly gave us a private guided tour in German, quite late in the afternoon. I was pleased to be able to help him understand a telephone call in English, from someone who was wanting to bring a party of 30 to the church the very next day.

This church had white painted timber work just like the Bach Kirche in Arnstadt, but he told us this was a Baroque addition after the time of Bach. We were shown some ancient 14th century artifacts including altar pieces, tombstones and a strikingly life-like full sized carved wooden crucifix hidden in a small alcove. I was thrilled when he invited me to play the baroque style tracker action organ, which was very special in such a historic place. 

 

Comments

1

Hi Joan

You are certainly having an amazing time. Fancy being able to play the organ - that must have been wonderful!

I hope you are well and truly over the tummy bug.

That was news to me, that Frankfurt had two airports!

Love
Deborah

  Deborah Munro Aug 5, 2014 6:48 PM

About joanimil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.