Existing Member?

UK Italy Germany 2014

Bachhaus Museum Eisenach

GERMANY | Tuesday, 29 July 2014 | Views [194]

This museum is set up in the house where Bach lived until he was 10 when his parents died in quick succession, and he went to live with his father's identical twin brother's family in Ohrdruf. We saw the tiny rooms and kitchen with furniture from the period, a glass drinking vessel presented to Bach and an autographed copy of one of his works. A collection of very large Bibles and copies of religious books from Bach's personal library containing for instance sermons of Luther, showed how widely read Bach was, and indeed we were told he spent much time each day in this pursuit.

We were treated to a talk and a recital on keyboard instruments from his time - house organs, spinet, clavichord and a harpsichord which was a copy of one by Bach's favourite maker. Of particular interest was a 7 string original bass viola da gamba by the illustrious maker Hoffman. For one piece Richard volunteered to pump the bellows of a chamber organ with his foot. He found that a slow pace was sufficient to create a smooth supply of air for the playing.

About joanimil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.