Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Camping at Ounans, Fr and a visit to Zurich, Davos and Montreux, Switz, then Chamonix/Mt Blanc

SWITZERLAND | Saturday, 21 July 2012 | Views [713]

Montreux Jazz festival - Jethro Tull performing Thick as a Brick

Montreux Jazz festival - Jethro Tull performing Thick as a Brick

Wednesday 20th June 2012 – Thursday 12th July

Camping at Ounans, France and a visit to Zurich, Davos and Montreux, Switzerland returning via Chamonix/Mt Blanc

We took a risk on Camping La Plage, hidden away up in the Jura, not having been there first to check it out!  Phew, what a relief when we arrived to find it a tranquil, friendly place where we plonked Kevin by the River Loue, cracked a Cremant and watched the bee-eaters catching bugs at low altitude as they played happy families over the river.  We sank into a torpor of retired wallowment for the next few days, planning our vantage points for Days 8 & 9 of Le Tour de France, driving a circuit of magical medieval Franche Compté where villages which took us to a little treasure, a “beau” village of France, “Baume les Messieurs”, nestled in a limestone canyon full of trees and vineyards.  Locals living a 21st C lifestyle amid the bulging walls of old stone houses, sagging tiled roofs, spun-glass windows, sharp spires….

 

Nearby Arbois is another village where Louis Pasteur lived and has a little of that wow factor!  With friends Anne & Richard, we came across a lovely walled garden and the lady kindly invited us in.  Then it was a walk only 100m up the road to see the famous Hirsinger chocolate shop where the French have voted it the No 1 chocolatier in France!  Naturally we just had to indulge…….

 

Upping the pace again, we left Kevin in mothballs and headed over to Switzerland for a week – a couple of days with friends in Zurich who took us for a couple of days to their family “shack” – a chalet built by the grandfather in the hills above Davos, a fantastic Winter playground for skiers.  In Summer it’s also a very relaxing place to stay – and so it was on a clear sunny day in July that we took the chairlift to the top (2880m) and walked the 1440m descent down to the village.  Atop the mountain we could see the nearby ski fields and the villages way down below.  As we rambled along the ridges we then descended, hiking firstly amongst the Alpine grasses then to the wildflowers, then down to the highland goats and lastly to the cows with their jangling bells. 

 

The next night was in Montreux where we went to the Jazz festival to see Jethro Tull re-do Thick as a Brick I & Il.  Ian Anderson was fantastic on the flute and guitar but it would be fair to say that voice-wise he’s lost it a little. 

 

The next day we shared a couple of days with our new friends from our recent Croatian cruise at their house near Chamonix/Mont Blanc. Taking the chairlift up to the viewing platform on Mont Blanc and standing at high altitude, just a little lower than the 4248m height of Mont Blanc was amazing.  Watching the many mountaineers climbing the nearby peaks captivated us for ages, yet we heard ten days later that 9 climbers had been killed in an avalanche there – you would have seen it happen from the same viewing platform.

 

Our two days at the Tour de France were great fun as we rubbed shoulders with thousands of happy, light-hearted locals cheering on as the riders flashed past.  Risking life and limb to grab the freebies thrown from the caravans ahead of the race is almost as much fun as the event itself.

 

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.