Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Canal walk, London

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 14 September 2011 | Views [462]

Canal living near Camden.

Canal living near Camden.

Tuesday 30th  August  - Canal walk, London

On our last full day in London, we met up with cousin Margaret & Tony who were just starting their holiday in Europe.  The plan was to walk along the Grand Union Canal…the original route for getting goods transported through London.  We started off at the picturesque “Little Venice” for a canal-side coffee, then we were off following the complex twists and turns as it seemed to go under the bridges and buildings of Westminster and Camden. We walked alongside office towers, magnificent canal-front properties in Regent Park and the many permanent houseboats on the canal where you weave in and out amongst their lifestyle – their pot plants, outdoor settings and bikes.  Then you walk opposite the London Zoo, with the bird aviary of eagles perched up high and the hyenas pacing around in their cage - quite ironic after seeing them in the wilds of Africa.  Leaving the canal at Camden we headed up into Primrose Hill, a leafy suburb with similar looking houses but all unique in their painted hues of pinks, blues, greens and yellows.  The nearby village-type shops are not allowed to be part of a chain so are quite eclectic and unique.  The view from the top of Primrose Hill was of a panorama of the heights of London…thanks Margaret for organizing and navigating us through our afternoon walking tour. After getting back to the hotel for a quick regroup, it was time for our last dinner in London….with vouchers we met M & T again at a restaurant which was in Craven Hill Gardens, right opposite the park where the wedding scene from “Notting Hill” was filmed….just dropping that one in as it was of note to the restaurant and interesting that so many people over the years may have actually thought it was filmed in Notting Hill….anyway back to the restaurant…the farewell UK dinner was excellent and with the vouchers was great value…thanks Jodie for telling us about Travel Zoo deals!

 

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.