Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Paris then off to the Netherlands

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 13 September 2011 | Views [421]

Friday 19th – Monday 22nd August - Paris then off to the Netherlands

Ahhh Paris….we’re staying once again with David and have been pulling down his hedge.  How do you put a 10m x 3m hedge in the trailer to take to the tip in Paris? Proof of residency, vehicle height restriction of 2m…we’re getting through the tip runs…slowly!! At least everyone’s left Paris and we’re here doing battle in the street without too much traffic.

Oh, our aching joints……the hedge took 2 days to chop and cart…..then the fence…well cuz David doesn’t do privacy screening lightly….this was a mammoth erection!       Height: 2.5m, length 16m, number of panels: 8 (with 16 timber lengths per panel), total number of timber lengths: 640.  Two days later and all completed!  We realize how unprepared we are to take up our rightful place in the UK Olympics next year…hmmm the single malt tour tempts us instead….later on it was wine and bubbly to celebrate - topped off with another wonderful Jodie meal!

Thursday was a day of rest….aching knees, fence completed...what else to do but see a movie.  The teenage girls were very keen to see Captain America.  Jim bravely took the wheel as we headed to the other side of Paris with Jodie as his trusty navigator and Janet and girls in the back seat….as he veered towards the Arch de Triomphe roundabout a sweat emanated from Jim’s neck as he saw what lay ahead….no lanes, cars going in all directions, 7 exit routes, and an assumption that to get through it one closes the eyes and pushes forward just like the Parisians do…..there was silence as we steered towards it, got cut off and headed down a side street (luckily) avoiding the worst intersection in Paris.  Whilst he went with the girls to the film, Jodie and I did some window shopping and perusing. 

The next day it was goodbye for this year to Paris and we set off for Hoorn near Amsterdam in the Netherlands.  By the time we hit Antwerp in Belgium it was late Friday afternoon with a 2 hour bottle neck skirting the city. 

The country through Belgium and the Netherlands was flat and lush - with the land below sea level there were many canals, windmills and rivers which all help to keep the country drained.  Enkhuisen and Hoorn – seafood, bikes, bike paths, markets, quietness and politeness.

We’d met Jan-Kees and Marja at Ngepi Camp in Namibia, so we were keen to see how they’d got on after our shared incident with the deadly African buffalo on the bank of the Okavango.  That was the last time we’d seen them so it was catch up and meet them in their world so many months later! We shared stories and photos of Africa – especially their one about the hungry bull elephant chasing their car in Chobe, Botswana…..

They took us to Amsterdam – a wonderful afternoon of boating along the canals – the sights included bridges, locks, streets with bikes, buildings dating from c1660, churches, windows with women parading their talent, house boats, a house boat for homeless cats.  Then the walking trip – coffee shops, bars, hash shops, open-air parks and cobbled streets.

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.