Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

The Amazing Atlantis

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Sunday, 1 November 2009 | Views [315]

Jellyfish of the Atlantis

Jellyfish of the Atlantis

Monday26th October

Dubai


We slept right through to 10:00am and then leisurely began the day with coffee by the pool. Followed this with a few hours on the beach and then to the water park attached to the hotel called the Aquadventure. OK, we know we're supposed to be adults but its great to celebrate the big kid in us all sometimes. We ended up spending 4 hours swishing, splashing and spinning through the four kilometers of water ways and challenging ourselves with the two biggies – the Shark Attack, where you descend on an inflatable through a set of twists and turns and finally end up in an enclosed tube that is surrounded by sharks and stingrays. Bloody amazing. The final biggie is the leap of faith. A nine story vertical drop slide with no raft, again delivering you through a steamy entrance hole and then into the pool of sharks...not that anyone has their eyes open at this point. From the outside looking on, it's not unlike being flushed down a toilet! Both of us screamed like girls as we went down but it was so much fun.


We left at closing time and walked back into our hotel to prepare for dinner. On the way to dinner we ventured into the Lost Chambers which is connected to the giant aquarium. This is one of the highlights of the hotel. It's not unlike an aquarium you might visit in major city anywhere throughout the world , but the size and variety of the specimens stand out. Huge gropers bigger than us, spectacular spotted moray eels, beautiful jelly fish, lion fish, huge cat fish, piranhas.... the list goes on and on, but as you walk through the exhibitions, the (eerie) music, lighting and ambiance of the place really makes you feel you have stumbled across the lost city of Atlantis. Fantasy, but extremely well done and leaves you feeling very humbled by the beauty of nature and the ability of a man (Sol Kerzner) to action his dreams and vision into reality. A truck-load of cash also helps!


Did the classy dinner tonight at the French restaurant in the hotel. Great food that finished off a great day.


About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.