Existing Member?

Adventures on Rusinga Island

I Made it to the Island!

KENYA | Thursday, 9 August 2012 | Views [653]

Thursday 5/31

So last night was my first night on Rusinga. I was asleep by 9 pm and awake y 3:30 am. The same thing happened last night in Nairobi, so I’m guessing it is the jetlag. Luckily I have not been tired in the least, but I do hope this changes soon because lying in bed for 3 hours in total darkness is boring. I stay in a compound owned by Alphonce with Mark and a Peace Corps Volunteer named Elizabeth. There is another PCV on the island named Adam, and that is pretty much the extent of white people here. Both the compound and island are very beautiful. This whole time I have been preparing for a beachy place, but nothing could be further from reality. This place is really rocky and only hills, and at the village there is about 15 feet of sand before the hills, rocks, and some grass starts. But it is incredibly gorgeous. We are not the only island in the areas, and they are all rocky and hilly, which makes it look like we are surrounded by small mountains. Also, everything is incredibly green. There are flowers everywhere, fields of maize, and just a generally lush area. Apparently, this is the only time of year the island is like this. The rainy season lasts about 3 or 4 months, and it started at the beginning of May. All other times of year the landscape is brown and dusty. I feel so fortunate to have come at this time of year, but I sort of want to see what it all looks like the majority of the year. As for our compound, it is sparse but still cozy. There is a woman named June who comes here to cook for us, and based on the one meal of hers I have eaten she is absolutely amazing. And bonus points for her because she does it all over a fire. There is no electricity on this part of the island except for a few places (like the community center), and no plumbing. There are no showers, and the restroom facilities are outhouses. But it is not so bad (yet). People really underestimate how much this part of the world is developing. I mean sure, they don’t have plumbing or electricity. But they are working on it. Cars are not a rarity, and motorbikes are crazy popular. True, people here do walk must places, but I think Americans should do more of that anyway. Really, it is just a different way of life, not a lesser way. Not to downplay the serious level of poverty of course. So many families are struggling just to eat and survive. The epidemic of HIV/AIDS is quite rampant, and many children are left without one or both parents because of the disease. It is really sad, but as I have not been here even 24 hours I have yet to be exposed to that part of life here. 

Tags: first day, initial observations, island, kenya, rusinga

About jilljahns


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.