Existing Member?

Adventures on Rusinga Island

First Things First

KENYA | Sunday, 27 May 2012 | Views [617]

Hello All!

If you are reading this, you are most likely a family member or friend, and know about me and my trip. In case you do not, hi I'm Jill Jahns and I will be spending 7 weeks off the Kenyan coast of Lake Victoria, on Rusinga Island. I am fortunate enough to have been the recipient of a Global Outreach (or GO) Fellowship at my school, Austin College. Because of this, I am able to travel to Kenya and volunteer with my friend and fellow student, Mark Hagge. As previously mentioned, Mark and I are going to Rusinga Island, specifically a fishing village on Kolunga Coast. Rusinga Island is about 10 miles from end to end, and 3 miles at it's widest point. Even so, there are about 25,000 residents on the island and 6,000 on Kolunga Beach. Truly, I do not know much more about the island at this point, but I will be sure to fill you in as I go and experience it for myself. The organization we are going through is called the Rusinga Island Trust, and you should visit their website at rusingaislandtrust.org. They have asked me to blog our adventures, and I am more than happy to oblige. HOPEFULLY I will be able to connect to the internet while I am there. I have been told I can buy an internet card once I get to Kenya, but there is always the possibility that will not work out. If that does not happen, I promise to journal and post it all here once we return to the states. Mark and I leave tomorrow morning (Monday) for Kenya, and should reach the island on Wednesday. Of course your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated, and I cannot wait to tell you all about my experiences. If possible, I'll do another entry once we get to Kenya! 

Love,

Jill 

 

About jilljahns


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.