Existing Member?

My Red Loafers

The first time I lived snow

NEPAL | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [582] | Scholarship Entry

We had just reached Ghorepani, a village in northern-central Nepal after eight hours of unpredictably adventurous trek when I and my friends first experienced it. Our very first snow-fall in twenty one years of life!

Sure, we had seen snow, but we had never felt it fall on us so softly. Most hotels had closed down, people had snuggled in, it was dark and late, we could barely stand on our feet with no idea whatsoever about where we were going to crash that night and still, we were happy. The snow had welcomed us so warmly.

I can't remember anything noteworthy in the couple of hours that followed the seven minutes of snowfall -mostly because we were all way too soaked, way too tired and way too hungry.

We were at Ghorepani for one particular reason- to hike to Pun hill next morning and witness the spectacular sun rise amid the grand snow capped mountains on all sides.

We did wake up before the sun and hike up to Pun-hill but there were no mountains, and no sun rise. The snow started before we were half way up and by the time we reached the hill, there was a mild snow storm. And still little were we disappointed. We were experiencing snow storm at an altitude of 3210 m after all.

After the first snow-fall it was time to experience the first trek through snow. We trekked 12 hours straight through snow from Ghorepani to Ghandruk.

It was the most peaceful and most adventurous trek I have ever had. Snow covered the entire trail. Most of the trail had no houses in between. We walked on thick and heavy snow. It was all white and silent.Every now and then there would be hint of snowflakes whirling and dancing with the wind. And we'd look at each other to smile.

If I were to personify the route, I would definitely call it femme fatale, so seductively dangerous. With time and distance, it got more dangerous. A chill still runs down my body every time I think of the route.

It was not until the end of the day that we saw less of white and more of brown and green and houses.

When I think of the trek I mostly think of who I was when I walked through the snow. I was not this girl with chaos inside me right now. I was at incredible peace of mind. I was confident, I was balanced and I somehow naturally knew how to take care of myself and others. I had never walked on snow and still I walked like a natural. The adventure didn't scare me as much as it embraced me. It felt like I belonged out there.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About jhyaunkiri


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.