Existing Member?

Hello World! A Solo Female Travel Adventure

Mull's Hidden Viewpoint

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [77] | Scholarship Entry

Scotland's Isle of Mull in itself is a bit of a hidden gem; wild, rough and untamed, its winding roads and thatched roofed farmhouses whisper of a time gone by. Rusted boats and unkempt hedgerows, Highland cows wandering the roadsides in clans whilst the mating calls of stags echo in the hillsides.

But the real treasure, I stumbled across by accident. In the bay of Tobermory, to the far right hand-side of the beach, past the quaint, brightly coloured houses and the fudge shops, is what looks like a faceless cliff. It was 2012, the end of an 11 year solar cycle and rumour had it, the Northern Lights would be visible tonight. If I wanted a good view, less affected by light pollution, I would have to seek higher ground. I scanned the cliff side looking for a way up. Through the trees at the bottom of the cliff and barely in sight, I could just make out a pathway.

Equipped with a head torch and a decent pair of walking boots I set off through the trees, long grass and rough terrain up a pathway that was barely trampled in by feet before me. Somewhere up ahead I could hear running water.

After about an hour and a very steep climb I made it to the top to a clearing in the woods. To my right was an impressive waterfall, the deluge of water cascading down the cliff-face and collecting in a pool at the bottom. A number of rocks had fallen into the pool and naturally landed in such a way as to form stepping stones, inviting me to step behind. I hopped across them, missing my footing on one rock and drenching myself up to the knee. Behind the waterfall, the sound was deafening and the spray refreshing after my long uphill hike. I stayed there a short while, etching this moment to my memory.

When I came out from behind the waterfall, the daylight had completely diminished and the night sky transformed. To my left was what I had hoped for: Aurora Borealis in all it's glory. From up here, I could see the whole town stretching away beneath me. Seals splashed in the bay whilst nature's greatest light show displayed its beauty in the sky above it.

With the crashing of the waves below me, thundering waterfall beside me and the Northern Lights above me, the majesty of the moment was not lost on me. How one place can be so serene and yet simultaneously so untamed, wild and undisturbed by humankind; the impressive power of nature filling up my every sense. I wondered how many people had been here before me and witnessed this view.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About jetsetterjones


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.