Existing Member?

Origins of Zen

Why You Should Plan a Layover in Singapore

SINGAPORE | Tuesday, 2 April 2013 | Views [677]

Singapore Waterfront

Singapore Waterfront

            One thing every budget traveler knows is that a layover is the perfect way to indulge in a country you may have otherwise flown right over. While visa rules can put a hinderance on stepping foot off airport soil, some countries, like Singapore, encourage those in transit to explore the architecturally rich city by offering a free visa. With the airport located at the heart of Singapore's commercial centre, it's a quick and easy hop from a taxi to the popular waterfront area or to the local eateries. The airport even offers free tours of the city with stops in Little India or Chinatown via tour bus for those with over a five hour layover. Yes, I said FREE! You'll have to walk around in a cattle herd temporarily, but the payoff of trying non-airport chicken and rice under a towering skyline and getting a taste of the future with the city's many touch screens is worth it. 

         For those with less time to spare, the airport still boasts of some of the most impressive amenities in the world, including a 24-hour movie theater playing the latest box office hits and a two story butterfly sanctuary where you can photograph the colorful creatures amongst native flora.  After you've fogged up your camera lens, head downstairs to the koi ponds or take a seat in one of the many conveniently located leg massage chairs. Then it's on to the roof, where a swim suit in your carry-on will come in handy! Yes folks...an airport with a rooftop pool! A real treat for anyone whose next stop is winter!

         From the moving walkways to the prim stewardess' in transit, a layover in Singapore promises to be a high-style experience. After hearing about the the country's quality of life and lack of crime, it may even have you contemplating relocating! So whether it's two hours or eight hours, plan your next trip to have a layover at Changi airport for a memorable trip that you didn't even mean to have. 

(The only thing better than the airport.....Singapore Airlines.)



 

         

Tags: airports, layovers, singapore, smart travel

About jericafromamerica

In traditional Balinese dress

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.