Existing Member?

Season 1

Survivor Borneo Castaway

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 7 May 2015 | Views [432] | Scholarship Entry

I’m a couch potato, with Survivor as my ultimate favorite TV show. There’s something about the survival aspect that drew me into the game. However, to me, it was just that—something I would watch weekly while I live vicariously through the castaways’ ups and downs.

Then exactly a ye¬ar ago, I challenged myself to get off the couch and be the most adventurous version of myself. Suddenly, I had an epiphany. What better way to kick off my solo backpacking goals than by going to the first shoot location of Survivor where it all started? Just like that, I was booking round trip tickets to Borneo.

I scoured the Internet and travel guides. Unfortunately, the island of Pulau Tiga (Survivor Island) is too secluded. Travel agency packages were priced around USD 150 per night. I knew my third world country budget won’t suffice so I planned on going there as the locals would. With unwavering will, I flew to Borneo without concrete plans. In a total of 72 hours and USD 108, here’s how I started my greatest adventure yet.

Here’s all I knew: Pulau Tiga is located in the province of Kuala Penyu; there is only one functioning resort; the island is also a national park.
Upon arriving in Kota Kinabalu, I went right away to the national park office in the city. They gave me instructions on where to ride the bus and booked me the Survivor staff housing for USD 7/night. Eventually they said, “You’ll have to figure out how to get there.”

I was already onboard the bus when I realized nobody knew how to speak in English. For hours, they kept shaking their heads when I was saying “Pulau Tiga” until a mother behind me tapped me on the back. She said, “Kuala Penyu!” then gestured for me to go with her.

I saw a big Kuala Penyu sign and felt joy for a moment before hitting another road block. There were zero vehicles cruising the deserted road. The local family was going to another direction so they helped me hitch a ride to go to the jetty port.

Call it lucky, but there was a last boat ride sailing to the island at 3PM. All I needed to do was plead to the resort owner to bring me along, even though I’m not a guest at their resort. I had to pay USD 56 for a round trip boat ride, but what else could I do. I was the only passenger.

I arrived at the Pulau Tiga port with so much gratitude. People are innately good, I thought. Then, I ran to my cheap Survivor house, washed my face and ran to my side of the beach. I was all alone. It felt good. I danced until the sun set.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About jenndpelaez


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.