Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Moving on from Phuket

THAILAND | Monday, 28 June 2010 | Views [669]

The weather continues to be erratic. Yesterday (Sunday) was bone dry all day, whereas today the rains had started during the night and continued to lash it down well into the day. Yesterday was pleasant. We had planned to go over the hill to Karon beach but they do overcharge for transport here. Motocycle taxis wanted 300 Bt. Sawngthaew wanted the same. The reality is that a local would pay half of that at most. No matter who you talk to, the story is the same. Extreme rip-off stories for tourists here. One guy told of a vendor selling hammocks for 3000 Baht, when the real price was more like 150 Bt. I wanted a new hat, and they all wanted 450Bt on average, when you can buy them out of town for 100 Bt. The vendors attitude isn't what it used to be when I first came to Thailand. Nowadays the smiles seem to have gone. Now it is scowling faces and a take it or leave it approach. T-shirt sellers are the more proactive. The problem is that if you don't buy from them you almost certainly get a sarcastic comment shouted at you as you walk on. I am sure that other parts of Thailand have survived the pinch caused by the drop in tourism, without losing their 'Land of smiles' attitude. Some however have lost it, making it a bit unpleasant at times. Either way, the cost of living here is noticeably on the increease, and the troubles in Bangkok have affected the whole country and dramatically reduced the number of tourists. So everyone is hungry for survival. Difficult in a place where every space is crammed with either a Massage parlour, restaurant or clothing seller and their tactics are those of desperate people. If only they realised that a l aggressive pricing strategy might actually earn them more business.
We ended up walking the beach to the southern end and was lucky to find a Porcupine fish and a Puffer fish washed up on the beach. Unfurtunately, both are poisonous and not for the dinner plate, so the free meal was out of the question. Patong had a beautiful beach that must be a couple of Kilometres long and in general really clean. The only problem is that the waves are strong and the water cloudy with the continues sand washed by it. So it isn't really for swimming, only watersports. Jet-skis (500Bt for 10mins), Parasailing(1000 Bt), Banana boats (1000Bt) are on offer. Diving supposed to be world class from here, but it does come at a price. 3,800 to 4,000 Bt for a typical 2 dive trip. So it isn't for the budget conscious traveller. 
England lost the game with Germany...The distant memory of winning the cup in 1966 is now many generations ago, and not likely to happen again in my lifetime unless they do something radical to improve.
An evening stroll along Bang La road is a must do for anyone who hasn't been exposed to the exuberant nightlife of Thailand's beach towns. Patong (South) and Pattaya (North) being the two predominant ones. Gyrating girls in the go-go bars, Neon toy vendors whizzing twirly things into the air, pumping music, thousands of expats in search for the night's piece of flesh. In amongst it all is a bewildered crowd of innocent tourists who will find it all a bit too much to take. And will even be revulsed by it. To be honest, I like the buzz and it is fascinating to watch it. A real life soap opera and drama program. Ladyboys (Katoeys) are in abundance. Many are so stunning that they should be on the cover of a glam magazine as a top model. Here they are just a curiosity for many people. Are they female or male? So they get used to being stared at. Many guys will have fallen under the drunken loss of eyesight and thought they were lucky enough to have been chosen for the night by the most glamorous lady they have ever seen. Until they get beneath the outer layer of course...yikes!... Your a guy? ....a...a...one of those. Quick escape....
We stopped into the Tiger Inn and spent the rest of the evening until it closed at 1am listening to a really nice live band. The pianist doubled as a Saxophone player and did some nice tunes as he walked around the restaurant. Cheap beer at 'Buy 2 get 1 free'. The lady lead singer had a lovely voice.
Long day and collapsed into bed...
Tomorrow we will most probably move on to Khao Sok National park. A place I have been before and worth going back. The main problem is the rain and...being really wet, means...lots of Shiera's worse nightmare...LEECHES. Those slimy creepy little blood suckers. I don't mind tem, but Shiera is haveing a breakdown over the idea. Let's see what fun we can have in the park !

 

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.