Existing Member?

Jamie's Global Adventures

Halong Bay - Life On a Junk

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 4 March 2009 | Views [1688]

Halong Bay is a truly magical place. It’s completely overrun with tour boats and all of the waste that comes along with them, but somehow it maintains its tranquility. We spent three days touring the different bays on a deluxe junk boat. The weather was wet and gloomy, which only added to the mystique of the cloud shrouded limestone mountains. Though I enjoyed our tour, I think I’d approach the bay a little differently on my next visit (maybe a week long eco-kayaking tour or a private adventure with a local fisherman).

Quick Highlights:

  • Food! – We ate huge meals, each of which included delicious seafood. I never order seafood at restaurants, so this was a nice treat.
  • Kayaking – Even with the rain, I thoroughly enjoyed kayaking through the different bays and grottos. We had one small incident with some inexperienced kayakers, but everyone made it out okay. Just a few cuts and bruised egos.
  • Floating Village – Not as colorful as the Cambodian floating villages, but certainly located in an amazing setting. The kids all row to school in bamboo boats.
  • Titop Mountain – Sebastian and I attempted to run to the top of the mountain via the steep stairs. I was wheezing hard half way up. Great 360 degree views while I caught my breath.

Tags: boats, caves, cruise, kayaking, unesco

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.