Existing Member?

Jamie's Global Adventures

Hanoi - Capitol City Fun

VIETNAM | Monday, 23 February 2009 | Views [983]

Temple of Literature

Temple of Literature

Hanoi was a pleasant surprise for me. Despite the loud traffic and fast paced lifestyle, I found the city very enjoyable. It’s an easy city to navigate by foot, so we spent hours wandering the streets, absorbing the different neighborhoods, markets, parks, and monuments. It’s definitely a must see in Northern Vietnam.

Quick highlights:

  • Street Food – I love street food and it’s absolutely everywhere in Hanoi. In fact, it’s difficult to walk on the sidewalks because they’re always blocked by the little plastic chairs of a noodle shop and the motorbikes of the patrons.
  • Water Puppets – Traditional puppetry performed over a water stage.  Incredibly artistry and fun stories even though we didn’t understand the dialogue or lyrics.
  • Temple of Literature – The first university of Vietnam. A very beautiful and peaceful break from the buzz of the busy city.
  • Old Quarter – I’m a sucker for small streets lined with women selling everything from fresh donuts to eels (and dog!).
  • Ho Chi Minh’s Mausoleum – We were the only non-Vietnamese in our tour group, but I’m glad we got to pay respects to the man this country holds so dearly. It did however feel a little odd looking down at a man’s body, knowing his last wishes were to be cremated.

Hanoi will be our base for the next week and a half. We’ll stop back through here two more times - once on our return from Sapa and then again from Halong Bay (in route to Hoi An).

Tags: museums, street food, temples

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.