Existing Member?

Through the Eyes of a Traveler "The world's a book, and those who don't travel only read one page." -St. Augustine

Island in the Sun

BAHAMAS | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [269]

     Imagine being surrounded by a sea of blue, literally. Imagine looking out of your window into a sky of orange and yellow against the blue water as the sun sets on the Atlantic Ocean. This was the scene of my Royal Carribbean cruise to the Bahamas for spring break of 2013. Jacques Cousteau once said "the sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." While I have always had a love and wonder of the sea, I was even more apparent while being surrounded by it. There was nothing more peaceful to me than soaking up the sun rays while the waves can be heard lapping up against the side of the boat. 

     The two days I spent in the Bahamas allowed me to recharge my batteries. I was a junior in college at the time. I had just added a minor and was taking 19 credit hours to play catch up. The Bahamian surf and sand became an outlet through which I was able to forget the stress of classes. My first day on the island consisted of touring the city of Nassau. Rather than secluding myself on the private beaches of the Atlantis Resort, I took a bus tour of the city. This allowed me to experience the culture of the native people and experience other areas of the city I ordinarily would not have seen. I got to visit Fort Charlotte, Fort Fincastle, the Queen Staircase, a cigar facotry, and many more. It was an interesting experience in Nassau because, while it is not part of the United States, the people there still spoke English and used American currency. There were even American businesses like McDonalds and Guuci. Perhaps one of the biggest culture shock I exprienced in Nassua was in the straw market. There were so many sights, smells and noises all concentrated to one place that it was a sensory overload in the beginning. Vendors were selling everything from tshirts to jewlery to handmade crafts and everything in between. In addtion, prices were not set in stone, and the vendors expected haggling. I am not a very assertive person, so I never became comfortable wth that custom.

     As a heliophilc and avid beach lover, I always wanted to go on a cruise to the Bahamas, and it did not disappoint. The Royal Carribbean crew went above and beyond the call of duty and made sure myself and every other guest had an exceptional vacation. The ship provided a wide array of activites for everyone of every age; from yoga classes to childcare to a kiddy pool and midnight pool party complete with a DJ, there was something for everyone and there was never  a dull moment. The three days I spent on the island was an eye opening experience that I will always remember. 

Tags: beaches, crusies

 

About jc_carpenter


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bahamas

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.