Existing Member?

Aiming For The Never-Ending Horizon

Yo Hablo Un Pocito Español

SPAIN | Wednesday, 27 August 2014 | Views [1655] | Comments [1]

Two hours after arriving in Madrid I had asked for directions to the bus station and metro, found my hostel, checked in, and had a conversation with two of the staff members there. I had found out where the best places to eat were and been given a list of sights that I could not miss. Trekking out from the hostel I found a great cafe to try paella and I had started to make friends with a couple on the next table and chatted about our previous travels and what football teams we follow. I then realised I had not spoken a word of English since I left Portugal.

I didn’t think most of the Spanish I had learnt from my 8 months in Central America would come flooding back so easily. It had been more than two years since I left that region and all my attempts at practicing with native Español speakers had proven that my memory of the language was quite fuzzy. After hearing stories of friends being stranded in Spanish cities with no one being able or willing to communicate back with them in English I thought that I would for sure find myself in a similar situation of being utterly lost. I disliked this concept.

It is too easy to simply rely on our immense advantage of speaking English as a first language to get around the world. It is true that in many countries, Europe especially, almost everyone speaks enough English to help us non-bilingual people get around. However I feel that this retracts so much from the experience of travelling in foreign countries. In some ways it is almost arrogant. Granted, English is quickly developing as the universal language, but we should still take the time to learn another tongue.

Madrid Streets

The hugely diverse range of different languages spoken throughout the world fascinates me. In many places one only needs to cross a river or over a mountain to find a group with an entirely unique dialect. The evolution of the spoken word details human’s intense desire to communicate on deeply personal levels. We should not actively miss out on an opportunity to connect with someone due to not at least trying to take the time to learn a few words in an exotic language,.

My Spanish is far from fluent, and beyond someone asking me what football team I follow I become at a loss for words. However I am happy I can form a friendship based on our mutual respect for Ronaldo and Real Madrid. Maybe more words will return to my faded memory but for now it is refreshing to know that when thrown in the deep end I can remember how to swim. I hopE I do not forget to continue learning.

Madrid Gardens Close

Tags: europe, languages, madrid, spain

Comments

1

I'm loving learning Spanish in South America too. Such a great language. I'm encouraged that you can still remember some of it.

  Katie Featherstone Aug 29, 2014 7:55 AM

About jazzanomadica


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.