Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Fantasea in Phuket

PAPUA NEW GUINEA | Tuesday, 5 June 2012 | Views [493]

Another quiet day, we went for a walk into town just to see what was available locally. Walking past the food cooking stalls, the food does not really smell very enticing and the cooking facilities are not really great. The locals are very friendly, though, and always smile and say hello. It reminds me of New Guinea, especially when a lady said "appernoon" just like they do in New Guinea. We wandered along and found a new shop called "Bocconcino" an Italian restaurant and deli, of course. It was fantastic, great coffee and we decided to buy cheeses and meats and bread and olives for an antipasto dinner before going to Fantasea. In "Bocconcino" there was a couple who had either been drinking alcohol all night or just started very early in the morning, but the girl was well over the limit and fell off her chair a couple of times. Not a pretty sight early in the morning. While Lee and I did the shopping with Nick supervising, the guy that was with the girl left, so she moved over to talk to Gerard and Michael, you have never seen two grown men suddenly vacate a table so quickly and run for security in numbers with us. It was really funny. As we checked out with all our goodies, the girl had about four goes at getting it right. I have to say the young man that served us had the most beautiful Italian accent, I just wanted him to keep talking.

 

We spent the afternoon by the pool and had afternoon tea. Have I told you how good the banana fritters are? We had our antipasto for dinner and about 6.30 headed in to "Fantasea." it's really hard to describe it, it's like a carnival with side shows and stalls, elephant rides, tiger viewing etc. then you go into a very large theatre and watch the stage show. The show goes for a couple of hours and includes, a laser show, acrobatics, magic and animals. At one stage there were 16 elephants on stage, they had goats and even some chickens ran across the stage, kind of like the RSPCA ad but with the last two chickens having a bit of a disagreement. There was lots of singing and dancing and it was a really well done event. I suppose its kind of like Sea World with a stage show added. Certainly worth going to.

 

We got home late and had a good sleep.

 

 

Travel Answers about Papua New Guinea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.