Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Bullett's Birthday Trip - Day 6

PAPUA NEW GUINEA | Sunday, 2 January 2011 | Views [473]

Bullett’s Birthday Trip – The Road Trip to Rocky.

Day 6 – Australia Zoo

Up and out and about and headed for the Zoo. It’s only five minutes from Toast’s and so it was a must do on this trip. We had wonderful day. We learnt so much about the Elephants and Tiger’s, enjoyed the show and took heaps of photos. We walked around all day and returned to Toasts a bit foot sore and weary.

The amazing thing about Australia Zoo is that everything is so neat, clean and tidy and despite the large crowds, there are plenty of facilities and food. It is just run so well for its size and the size of the crowds. Bindi, Bob and Terri were all part of the show, because of the school holidays. The birds flew into the auditorium and flew laps very close to the heads of the people in the crowd. The handlers were amazing the way they got them to come to them to be returned to their cages. They are very well trained. Of course the crocs were amazing, too.

While we had lunch we watched a crew of handlers/gardeners mow and whipper snip one of the croc enclosures. Now this takes talent, speed on your feet and at least three people. One to whipper snip, one to mow and one to watch the crocs. A couple of times the croc made a lunge at the lawn mower and this tested the speed of the mower operator. He was careful to keep the mower between him and the croc, but he still needed to move fast. One of the crocs has “killed” four mowers, not the operators just the machines.

So the lunch time entertainment was over, the area where the croc was, was left unmowed so I guess they will do that bit some other time. We continued with our wanderings and had a great time feeding kangaroos, watching the elephants have a swim and observing play time with the Tigers. They are such amazing creatures. We had a photo taken with a koala and just thoroughly enjoyed our day.

We went to the elephant show and the tiger show and took a lot of photos that I will post for you to check out.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Papua New Guinea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.