Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Bullett's Birhtday Trip - Day 4

PAPUA NEW GUINEA | Sunday, 2 January 2011 | Views [614]

Bullett’s Birthday Trip – The Road Trip to Rocky.

Day 4 – Dubbo to Toowoomba

Once again we woke to a beautiful sunny day. I don’t know what all the fuss is about with the rain and floods. Our daily phone calls from Moya and Toast, were advising us that we wouldn’t get through, we reassured them that we had an umbrella, but the response was usually something like “you will need more than a X@%&*(*ing! Umbrella.”

We got to Coonabarabran and rang Moya and the NSW SES and QLD Roads and found out that the road to Toowoomba had opened that morning and we could get there by going through Warwick. The roads were fine, although, there were a few potholes to avoid. As we left Warwick we found the turn off to the Cunningham Gap was closed to all traffic because of a land slide and the road ahead to Toowoomba was down to single lane only for about 500 metres. They were repairing the road, as the flood waters had washed the whole sheet of bitumen off the road and into the table drain, it just shows how violent and scary flood waters can be. No wonder they warn people not to drive through them.

We arrived safely at Toowoomba and checked into the Motel and then headed out to Moya’s. Jacinta, Francis, Kent, Cameron and Brodie were still staying there from Christmas because of the floods at Dalby and Emerald and they couldn’t get home. Bernie and Kevin and family had left that morning to go back to Warwick and Paul and Linda and family had also left that morning to return to Texas. All of them had been stuck because of the flood waters. So when we had rung Moya that morning she had sounded a little stressed, so she didn’t need more visitors arriving to stay, hence the motel.

We had a lovely dinner and Brodie, Kent and Cameron arrived back from their fishing trip with 6 large yellow bellies. Brodie had be-friended a couple of families and had spent the afternoon hooking fish for others to reel in and had managed to give away about 20 fish. The families were very happy with their day and Brodie had had a lot of fun. Kent and Cameron had caught some fish for themselves as well.

We returned to the Motel and had a great night’s sleep. The next morning, Bullett rang and had a long chat to Gerard. He still had no idea where we were or that we were on our way.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Papua New Guinea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.