Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Cairns or Bust

PAPUA NEW GUINEA | Sunday, 26 September 2010 | Views [545]

Cairns or Bust 26th September 2010.

This morning we bounced out of bed very early and I finished packing and was ready to be out the door at 5.50am, just as Graeme Opie, one of Gerard’s students, came to pick us up. He was flying out for his two weeks out on the same flight as me. I got through all the formalities and we were waiting in the departure lounge when the official man called Gerard over and told him he wasn’t allowed to be there, so he had to leave. He wasn’t very happy.  Ian and Linda called into the airport to say goodbye and gave me a lovely Billum bag, fancy getting up that early just to come to the airport for a couple of seconds and say goodbye.

We boarded the plane and at 5 minutes to 7 the co-pilot ran through the cabin from the back, talked to the pilot and then got off the plane. The pilot then announced that the flight would be delayed because the co-pilot had left his passport back at the pilot’s accommodation and would have to go back and get it. (Only in PNG could this happen). We finally took off and after a long flight we landed in Cairns about 10.30am. I had a basket in my case, which I had declared, so I had to get it out and it had to be checked for bugs. The dust that fell out has to be checked in the lab to make sure it was dust and not a bug. So I eventually got through customs, farewelled Graeme and caught a cab into the Hotel. Of course you can’t check in that early and get your room, so I left my bags with the concierge and walked into town.

I booked a trip to Green Island, had lunch, wandered around and then boarded the big Catamaran out to Green Island. It takes about 50 mins to get there, so we were there about 1.50pm. I went on the Glass Bottom Boat at 2.15pm and had a wonderful time looking at all the coral and fish below. I took photos, but you have to be careful of the reflection on the glass, so I am not sure that many will be much good, thank goodness for digital, I can delete the duds.

I then went to the Melanesian Aquarium and Crocodile Exhibit and got some great shots of the big crocs and some of the Melanesian history. It was a really interesting place. I sat on the beach and had a drink and by then it was 4pm and time to head back to the boat. I arrived back in Cairns at 5pm and I was so pleased when I got to the Hotel and could get my room and have a nice shower. I ate a lovely dinner at the bistro and then came back to my room to write this journal. Well, my friends its back to Vic tomorrow and back to work on Tuesday. My great adventure is all over.

Some funny things:

My students (all 30-60 year old men call me Mum) (it’s a term of endearment)

They all wanted me to stay.

Kimberley steals Gerard’s name and you have to call her Gerard and Gerard, Kimberley.

The sisterhood (Squad) will keep Gerard in line. Go the sisterhood!

I definitely would go back. The people are wonderful.

The strange handshake of Tabubil. Normal shake then click fingers. I’ll show you.

The people are just lovely. The kids are gorgeous.

Saying arpernoon to everyone on the way home and good morning or hello to everyone on the way to work.

The beautiful colours.

Rain like you would not believe.

The willingness to share their culture and beliefs and their openness.

Timothy, the funny cleaning man who would do anything for me. Johnson the electrical trainer who would also do anything for me.

And so many other things that I am too tired to think of.

A wonderful experience I will treasure forever. I will put up more photos in the next couple of days.

 

 

Travel Answers about Papua New Guinea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.