Existing Member?

Sharing Stories - First Time in Netherlands

Unforgettable Netherlands

INDONESIA | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [361] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

Saturday, July 6 2013 I began to move my legs, I'm going to leave Indonesia. I will miss family. Yes, this is the first time I will board a plane, the first time I will be out of the country. Prepare for 6 months, pick a dream to the Netherlands. With will and determination, during the next two weeks will set foot in the land of windmills. I enjoyed it, when it encounters a foreign tourist in Abu Dhabi, when I met the 'foreigners' at the airport. I've got to Schipol, the old airport in the Netherlands. It was not believed, I can here? To which over 350 countries once colonized country, this is not a dream? I followed heart and mind, I found an underground train ‘subway’. Surprised, in my country no trains like this, there has been no departure schedule as detailed as this. It's my first time, first time riding the subway trains. I read a guide book, I got to Janskerkhof, Utrecht summer school office. Once in class, I'm the last person who came, everyone laughed at me. This is my first time shame, shame for being late.

The next day I started to have friends, Jerry from China, the glasses boy. Birgit from Germany, quite women and good-natured, and there are 17 of my new friends here. There Brian Doucet, who might I consider to be the father, as friend, as teacher mentor. He was good, he was attentive to us. GVU, city bus was in sight. We returned to the hostel, the next day we surround Netherlands. We cycled to Eindhoven, the city of light. We went to Amsterdam, Rijksmuseum see and take pictures in the "I amsterdam '. I see people cycling, cycling everything.'s My first time seeing the canal and some miniature tulips that usually flowering in the spring.

I mused, this is the first time I saw people cycling and walking together. I know this is different from the culture in my country, many motorcycles and cars there. Pollution is common, here clean and everything are organized.

This is the first time I'm around the Netherlands, the country with 1000 memories, the country with the colors orange and windmills are always memorable place to visit. Ah, this is too beautiful to be enjoyed alone, I try to tell my family in Indonesia. I try to share my little notes through blogs. Let them know, I've struggled here. I here have experienced the bitterness, but eventually became sweet to be remembered. So unforgettable Netherlands. And this is just my initial trip to be a small country, I want to go back someday.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

Comments

1

Can't imagine how was your feeling when you step the land there for the first time. How if that lucky person was me? Ohooo, I will so confused to follow all of the rule i think..Hahaha. but i hope someday i also get the great chance to leave my footprints there. What an amazing experience, Janu. Keep struggling for scholarship, keep writing to share your inspiring experience :)

  Lisna May 19, 2014 12:38 PM

About janumuhammad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.