Existing Member?

Wanderlust

My Scholarship entry - Through Local Eyes

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 14 October 2012 | Views [3412] | Comments [51] | Scholarship Entry

Jamie Oliveira (Director/Presenter/Editor): Documentary Film Production student attending SFSU. I had the vision to portray SF in its true light by immersing myself in the diverse neighborhoods. I tried my best to complete this vision by pulling all nighters in 2 days of filming/editing (only found out about this on a WWOOF website Oct. 12!). My filmmaking knowledge is self-taught, as so far in school I have only studied theory. My adventurous spirit has a burning desire to create & filmmaking is the most dynamic medium for capturing the human experience. This opportunity would mean the world to me as I am a bit of a wanderlust & I could really benefit from the mentorship experience.

Pawara Soh (Filmmaker): I’m a film student from Malaysia, studying at SFSU. Being a film student, I am always aspired to engage my life experience into visual arts. Filmmaking is definitely what I aim to pursue as my future career. Thus, I believe I would be an ideal candidate to receive this opportunity to sharpen & improve my craft of filmmaking skills, as well as to broaden my cultural horizons in Brazil.

Music: “City Girl” by Sam Kraft, a friend who sadly passed away this week in a car accident.

Tags: Travel Film Scholarship 2012

Comments

1

Thoroughly enjoyable - love that you went into the non touristy neighborhoods - gives the view a taste of the variety and culture SF has to offer! Well done to you both!!

  Jenny Oliveira Oct 15, 2012 2:44 AM

2

Jamie's insightful and fun presentation of San Francisco from a local's perspective is delightfully entertaining and accurate. As a local, myself, I was pleased to see how Jamie portrayed each neighborhood in San Francisco and made me feel proud to live in this city. The choices made in the editing process seem to have been the right ones as I found my eyes, ears, and imagination being catered to and pleased while I watched the video full of entertaining shots and clips matched with perfect transitions, music, and interviews. GREAT JOB JAMIE!

  Amanda Nordquist Oct 15, 2012 4:54 AM

3

Thank you all SO much for the support and positive feedback - wow! It warms my little heart strings. I'm still in shock that this whole film was able to be accomplished in 2 days. If it wasn't for the vibrant human beings of the world like you and my incredible determination I wouldn't have been able to do it! My will to travel (not tour, really truly experience) the cultures of the world is overwhelming, and filmmaking is in my opinion one of the most compelling ways to do so! I really have so much love for you all.

  jamieoliveira Oct 15, 2012 5:13 AM

4

What a great job you and Pawara did on this project. You really captured the spirit and essence of the San Francisco culture and scene. I want to go there and be there...The city is yours, and you belong there...
Awesome film!!

  Kevin Oliveira Oct 15, 2012 10:38 AM

5

Both of you did a magnificant job capturing the unique cultures that make SF a truly special place to live and visit. It was whimsicle and truly entertaining! Great job...

  Jill Oliveira Oct 15, 2012 10:47 AM

6

Great job you guys!

  S. K. Oct 15, 2012 11:21 AM

7

An excellent presentation of our beautiful San Francisco from a local point of view - off the beaten path. I'd expect to see this as an episode of Globe Trekker on PBS. Congratulations and Good Luck!

  Daniel Bartlett Oct 15, 2012 11:38 AM

8

great job! love the editing:)

  Vigita Oct 15, 2012 11:45 AM

9

I hope our description makes it clear that neither Pawara or I have ever had any films commissioned/broadcast anywhere ever meaning this opportunity would be our first - a much needed opportunity for breaking into the globe-trekking documentary film industry!

  jamieoliveira Oct 15, 2012 12:07 PM

10

Very cool- Lively presentation, fun cool girl! Makes it much more interesting, than other hosts I've seen most of the time, definitely.

  Ariana Oct 15, 2012 12:32 PM

11

u shud have your own show

  Ap Oct 15, 2012 1:10 PM

12

Thank you so much for your support guys! I especially enjoyed the many hours of editing process, where we had to decide on some of the vibrant bits and pieces of San Francisco for the film. We really love San Francisco and wish to convey an insightful and lovely perspective of the city. Jamie's bright, bubbly and energetic personality definitely makes us all excited and eager to travel with her!

  Pawara Soh Oct 15, 2012 1:11 PM

13

Whoa, i love the raw-ness of the host, and the cinematography is definitely fun and captivating!! good luck guys!!

Pawara dude, u've definitely come a long way from where we started. lol goood luck all the bestt!! :D

  Hannah Lee Oct 15, 2012 6:07 PM

14

You guys should make more videos ^_^. It's really good

  Jake Li Oct 15, 2012 6:57 PM

15

Jake Li - Thank you! Hopefully we will be able to make more films in Brazil! To be able to interact in such a fun way with the locals of Rio de Janeiro as I immerse myself in their community, as well as engaging with them philosophically and emotionally, would be awe-inspiring.

  jamieoliveira Oct 15, 2012 7:01 PM

16

Awesome job guys! Especially on such a tight turnaround! Great work!

  rossam78 Oct 15, 2012 7:19 PM

17

Nice video! really enjoyed it! felt like I'm watching a traveling channel ;)
Good work! Keep it up guys! Will pray for y'all about the scholarship ^^

  ayutomoe Oct 15, 2012 7:54 PM

18

Really great short that managed to capture all of the favorite parts of the dynamic city that locals really love about it. It's informative and sweet and full of personality, without seeming contrived at all. I could watch it over and over!

  Kelly Cole Rappleye Oct 15, 2012 8:25 PM

19

Great video Jamie. It was entertaining and informative at the same time. Makes you look differently at all those areas of San Francisco that normally you would not think were too great. And Jamie the view through your eyes is what makes the city seem so cool. Great job!!!

  Karen Hodgkinson Oct 16, 2012 1:10 AM

20

I Loved the Video, The interaction with the people and the way they interacted back and different parts of San Francisco makes me miss San Francisco
So much

  Dianna Azevedo Oct 16, 2012 1:37 AM

21

Near overview of the neighborhoods!

  monica Oct 16, 2012 2:36 AM

22

Great job! I am excited that you showed the diversity that is San Francisco. Very entertaining!! JUST GREAT!!!

Good luck you two!

  Sherida Rensch Oct 16, 2012 4:48 AM

23

Great work on the video you two, both of you seem to have captured the essence of San Francisco! Can't wait for the sequel, Good luck to you both, I know that you will be successful in the future!

  John Greitzer Oct 16, 2012 7:29 AM

24

Great Work Jamie!!! You are very creative and I thoroughly enjoyed this video. Keep up the good work and I wish you much success in your very bright future. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

  Chris McCargar Oct 16, 2012 9:14 AM

25

This is an awesome video with a very bubbly presenter! which makes it even better! :) It is amazing how you guys manage to show the diversity of the entire SF in just a 3 minute video! I can totally feel the love you guys have for SF! All the Best!:)

  Julie Oct 16, 2012 9:43 AM

26

Hey guys. This film is absolutely wonderful! Love the short but sweet exposure to the different districts in San Francisco. I feel like you really captured what life is like in the city from a college student's perspective! :)

  Zu Oct 16, 2012 10:07 AM

27

What a great travel film. I find it hard to believe that both Jamie and Pawara are novices. Anyone can see that the world thru Jamie's eyes is full of opportunities and options. Loved the interaction with the street "folk" and the blue wig just made me laugh full out. If you win this scholarship it will be because you deserve it and if not, it is easy to see that you have a great film career ahead. Pawara captured Jamie's spirit and was pure genius. I am eager to see more !

  Kathie Carrasquilla Oct 16, 2012 11:35 AM

28

I am overwhelmingly grateful for the feedback I am receiving. Thank you all so much. My objective was to portray my free spirit interacting with the world - and it warms me to see you all engaged. I am highly motivated to go far in the travel/social documentary film industry. I promise you all I will deliver many more dynamic films, ranging from films sprinkled with spirit to films sprinkled with philosophy and insight, all from a beautiful aesthetic (that I will hopefully improve on!)

  jamieoliveira Oct 16, 2012 5:39 PM

29

Nice effort. Loved ur presentation. All the best.

  Gururaj Oct 16, 2012 9:53 PM

30

Wonderful funny interesting A+ hope you continue on I am so blessed to have known friends like you who are so gifted in the arts.

  Win Oct 17, 2012 3:45 AM

31

What an amazing presentation! You did such a great job on the editing Jamie! A+++++ :) You guys definitely deserve this opportunity.

  lauren Oct 17, 2012 3:56 AM

32

ended up quite enjoying that. Gj.

  user33 Oct 17, 2012 4:12 AM

33

that video was epic, keep it up jamie

  g baby Oct 17, 2012 4:48 AM

34

Jamie you captured all of the diverse parts of the city so well! That was amazing! And my favorite parts were when you included all of the clips of you talking to people. You deserve this scholarship so much!

  Maria Oct 17, 2012 5:45 AM

35

Fantastic! Enjoyed it very much.

  keri e Oct 17, 2012 5:51 AM

36

thanks for giving a view of the REAL san francisco! you really captured the true essence of what makes sf such an enchanting place.

  spite Oct 17, 2012 6:01 AM

37

I like the concept since SF is a major tourist spot and with any tourist spot there are always going to be hidden gems throughout the location. That being said, I feel you managed to hit the nail on the head by showing many the different aspects of SF that makes it so desirable to visit: the Castro, downtown, Japantown, Twin Peaks, and sidewalk treasure to list a few. As a commuter to SF, it's definitely nice to see so many other qualities the city has to offer besides the commonly thought of hot spots like Chinatown or Ocean Beach.

  travis Oct 17, 2012 7:31 AM

38

Super entertaining and well executed. Definitely could see this as a fun segment on the travel channel. Impressive stuff.

  Adam Oct 17, 2012 9:18 AM

39

Very well presented and lively film. All the best for the competition.

  balemaneb2c Oct 17, 2012 3:40 PM

40

Great videos! this really reflects the city of San Francisco!

  Mary H. Oct 17, 2012 4:31 PM

41

that.was.amazeballs.... can't believe you did this in two days!!! killing ze game jamie we're all very impressed in my household

  sonia Oct 17, 2012 6:20 PM

42

I love this! It's great that you're showing people the other things to do in SF!

  Nicole Oct 18, 2012 9:09 AM

43

This is absolutely wonderful. (And perfect for me because I hope to live there one day, and didn't know many of those things.)

  Cassi Oct 18, 2012 9:12 AM

44

Your video is very edgy, and has a great sensibility plus humor. Great work!

  Mark Oct 18, 2012 12:37 PM

45

hello jamie oliveira,
apa kabar?
thank you for commenting my video. i hope we will make a new stories in rio. :) i also hope the same for your team, so we can meet in rio. btw, how many people will win this scholarship? i havent found that info. i watch your entry and i really like it! i have that lack that i'm not native speaker of english, so i really like how you play nicely with words:) and the whole atmosphere, really vivid, positive - nice! i didn't check all entries, but i am (like all people) hoping that my team will be (among) wining one(s).
pozdrav dari solo! ;)

  Nebojsa Oct 18, 2012 12:40 PM

46

Enjoyed seeing seeing SF through a young adults eyes - great video! JS

  Jane S Oct 18, 2012 4:21 PM

47

Jamie,
Makes me miss SF. Like the upbeat look at the city. Your energy grabs the positive stuff coming out of everyday life. Nice.

  John Van Ravenhorst Oct 18, 2012 10:51 PM

48

Hi Jamie,

I really enjoyed your film, but mostly your acting! maybe
I should not say acting, because I could see you, all the way through!
Your are a true San Franciscan!

Kisses and a big hug!

Salvi

  Salvi Oct 20, 2012 12:26 PM

49

Oh, She is such a free spirit person and wow you should be so very proud of her. What a strong mind and will to be out there learning about all of the city life not just the city. She's good at what she does. Kudos to Jamie :)

  Phyllis Lane Oct 23, 2012 5:16 PM

50

This is really awesome. She is so positive, I just love how she's all happy and.. oh man, I just love it! And you captured everything that needed to be captured. Great job!

  Katarina Oct 24, 2012 8:55 AM

51

Great Job! Shows the nature of SF people in a positive light & the diverse cvulture of the city.

  Judy & Gene Oct 29, 2012 5:57 AM

About jamieoliveira


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.