Existing Member?

THE BIG ONE From sea kayaking to sheep shaggin' New Zealand has it all!

Bay of Plenty, the Coromandel and Diving in the Poor Knights

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 7 February 2008 | Views [680]

After the smells of Rotoura  we headed north to the Bay of Plenty and the Kiwi growing capital of the world. Tried some golden kiwis where you can eat the skin. Delicious, cross between an apple, pear and kiwi. We camped that night right on the beach next to the pounding pacific surf..... and did'nt get a wink of sleep.

We then headed up the coast to the Coromandel Peninsula which was paradise. Wonderful sandy beaches, huge surf and great walks and snorkelling. Chilled out here for a couple of days. Stayed in a place called Hahei.

Whilst we were here we got in contact with Dawn, the girl who introduced Kate and I and who dived in Ag. Efimia. She is now a dive instructor in the Poor Knights Islands. A group of rocks 20km of the north east coast. Dawn works from a place called Tutakaka and when we arrived we found we had been booked in for a days diving, on a big boat all day for absolutely free. Dawn had saved us 400 bucks so we were well chuffed. It was great to see her and we and an amazing day diving. Jacque Cousteau named where we dived one of the top 10 sights in the world.... and he wasn't wrong. Saw eagle rays, huge snapper, blue maomoa and a mass of others!

Tags: Friends

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.