Existing Member?

Cruising the world

St Petersburg and Moscow, Russia

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Friday, 9 September 2011 | Views [334]


After a late Friday night drinking session with workmates, James and I packed for Russia and headed to the airport, collecting Kirk on the way.

With a lack of knowledge on Russia’s history, there were a few preconceived ideas of what to expect; we thought we would see corruption everywhere, police carrying loaded machine guns and find that generally nobody smiled. We were also not certain about how people felt about the change from Soviet rule, given the poverty talked about outside the main city centres.

We arrived at St Petersburg airport to a frosty reception by the ladies behind the customs desks (they just didn’t smile or show any emotions!) and found the gentleman who would be driving us to our hotel by reading the held up sign saying “Ms Dunlop, Mr Atkinson and Mr Kirk” (this should have read Mr Weir!).

We checked into our hotel-Rossiya Hotel and meet up with out tour guide (the lovely Julia) and most fellow travellers to be briefed. Following this meeting, Kirk, James and I ordered pizza and drinks from the hotel bar to find that the pizza had chopped dill on top-definitely not expected! We then caught the underground to Nevski Prospekt (the city centre) to get our bearings. After only two minutes of walking, we came across a man lying on his side, covered in blood and bleeding from his mouth. He was being looked after so we kept walking…in disbelief of what we had just seen! We weren’t too sure what to make of that! We walked to the Hermitage Museum and took photographs of all the beautiful surrounding buildings. It is fair to say that most Russian women we saw were rather attractive with amazingly slender bodies, they all dressed up, wore lots of makeup and wore high heels. Given that I was travelling with two boys it was inevitable that the odd photograph was taken of these specimens! I, on the other hand, was not so lucky, although we did see some amazing mullets!

We used our Lonely Planet guide to find a traditional Russian restaurant for dinner, which was quite difficult trying to read Cyrillic.  Kirk, James and I all had different versions of dumplings, which were nice albeit a little dry (and came with ‘greenery’ which we soon learnt actually meant ‘dill’). The boys tucked into their first of many Russian beers here too. 

With the temperature being an uncharacteristic 32 degrees, we were told to expect rain and even thunder storms. We left the restaurant to find ourselves in the middle of one of these downpours and ran back to the underground.  By the time we surfaced near our hotel, the rain had stopped and we found ourselves amazed at the white night-I have added a photo taken at 11.30pm which looks more like it was taken at 7.00pm! All in all, there was darkness for only 2 hours each night (very strange for your body clock to get used to!).  We headed to bed before starting the tour the next day.

Day 1-St Petersburg

After a very strange Russian buffet breakfast (which included cold salads, buns with cabbage in the middle, curd pudding and stale breads (no toaster in sight and no spreads) we met the tour group, which also included four late arrivers-Shannon, Shaun, Emma and Joel –all from Australia (but living in London). We got on really well with these guys, which made the tour more fun.

We hoped on the tour bus and had a guided tour of the city. We saw St Isaac’s Cathedral, Peter and Paul fortress (from the outside), the beautiful Saviour the Spilt Blood Church, the Kazan Cathedral, the Winter Palace, and the Bronze Horseman before completing a guided tour of the State Hermitage Museum.

The State Hermitage Museum was originally the Winter Palace for Empress Elizabeth (built between 1754-1762), the daughter of Peter the Great. Elizabeth died before the palace’s completion and only Catherine The Great and her successors were able to enjoy this as their home.

It was founded as a museum in 1764 after Catherine The Great purchased a large collection of paintings. Although it hosted amazing works of Da Vinci, Michelangelo and Rembrandts, our favourite piece was the gold peacock wind up clock, made in the 18th-century by James Cox, a British Jeweller. It stood approximately 2 metres tall and comprised of a owl that turned its head every hour, a peacock sitting in a tree that raised it’s tail and squawked and a squirrel that cracked a nut. A firefly spun on a toadstool to tell the time (in hours only). It was so beautiful and amazing, and well worth watching on Youtube if you get the chance:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q0FAYE0_1Y   

Apparently the clock only operates on certain public holidays.

Following the tour, our tour guide left us with a free afternoon. Kirk, James and I joined Emma, Shaun, Shannon and Joel to have lunch at another traditional Russian restaurant before returning to the Church of the Spilt Blood to view inside. Inside from floor to ceiling there were hundreds of mosaics, they were so detailed, it looked so beautiful. After a look around the local markets we all headed back to the hotel, to play cards and have some drinks (including Vodka of course!). Our Australian friends swore by adding Redskin lollies to a bottle of vodka, which (as they were raspberry flavoured) made the vodka taste sweeter and coloured it red. We stayed up drinking long enough to see the darkness!

 

Day 2-St Petersburg

After a slow start, we started day two by visiting  Peterhof, 45 minutes outside of St Petersburg, to walk around the beautifully preserved Imperial estate. It was founded in 1710 by Peter the Great on the shore of the Gulf of Finland (Baltic Sea). It combines several ornate palaces, and a number of beautifully landscaped parks with magnificent statues and fountains. It was great walking around these gardens (a good hangover cure!) and we had fun playing in the ‘magic fountains’, which weren’t very magic at all (a man hide in a shed and randomly turned the water on/off as people crossed over the fountain!). And of course, James evaded getting wet and I ended up getting drenched! We also saw our first red squirrel and dunked our feet in the Baltic sea, which was really warm (considering we were very close to the Arctic Circle).

We drove back to St Petersburg and had a very nice traditional lunch as a tour group, which included the tasty hot soup called Borscht and a main of salmon and salad. Followed was coffee and pastry (which was sausage roll shaped pastry filled with apricot jam).

We took the opportunity to discuss with Julia (tour guide) the rise and fall of the soviet union. She had a very interesting view of this, explaining using a ‘bear in the cage’ analogy.  During Soviet rule, Russians were kept in cages-they had free healthcare and increased wealth across the nation, but a low economy. But with the fall of the Soviet Union, some Russian’s would leave the cage and thrive, and others would not. There remains a great divide across the nation about whether soviet rule made Russian’s better off or not. I also tried to find out why Russia has a Prime Minister and a President. Julia was not completely sure, but explained the Prime Minister tends to policy and the President to world issues.

We then headed to Peter and Paul’s fortress. The fortress was built in 1703 and was the first structure in St. Petersburg built to protect Peter the Great's northern city from the threat of Swedish attacks. It now stands as an emblem of the city. Inside the fortress stands the impressive Peter and Paul Cathedral, the burial place of all the Russian Emperors and Empresses (Russian Tsars) from Peter the Great to Alexander III and is the tallest building in St Petersburg (404 feet). It was an interesting entrance, as our tour guide told us we were going to see ‘corruption in action’. The bus driver tried to bribe the security guard at the gate to let us in, which did not work on this occasion, so we had to walk into the fortress instead. Julia (the tour guide) was explaining to the group that although she knew corruption was not a good thing, she said, and I quote “corruption is just so convenient!’.

We had the rest of the day as free time, where we lay in a park and relaxed, before heading to St Petersburg train station and boarding our sleeper train, bound for Moscow.

 

Moscow, Day 1

The sleeper train was a fun experience. Each room had four bunk beds and a small table in it (we stowed our bags under the bottom bunk). As Kirk, James and I shared a room, we were warned we might have a Russian roommate, which we were relieved to find was not the case for us!  We played cards with our Australian friends before bunking down for a broken sleep (occasionally hearing some brakes screeching was not something we were used to!). We all woke in time to jump off the train as it reached Moscow (it was not the final stop so we were all on high alert to make sure we had everyone together before it headed northeast!). We meet our new tour guide, Nina who took us straight to the Red Square via a minivan around some huge, 8 lane roads that surrounded the city. The Red Square was impressive and unlike any other square we had been in. We initially saw iconic St Basil’s Cathedral, a Russian Orthodox church erected on the Red Square in Moscow in 1555–61. Built on the order of Ivan the Terrible, its design is unique to Russia and is said to be built on a design of a bonfire rising to the sky. To me, it looked like a church with colourful meringue’s on top.

Also in the square is the entrance to the Kremlin, including the Lenin Mouleseum, which holds Vladimir Lenin’s (the founder of the soviet union) embalmed body.

After the tour of the Red Square, we all had breakfast before continuing our tour of Moscow, including Novodevichi Monastry and the Cathedral of Our Saviour , which was heavily decorated in gold on the inside (and where people stand rather than sit in pews).  Lastly we were taken to a great viewpoint of the city of Moscow, which showed some of the facilities built for the Moscow Olympic Games, before heading to our hotel.

We visited a nearby supermarket and stocked up on drinking and snack supplies, before settling in for a few drinks in our hotel room (including vodka infused with redskin lollies!) with our Australian friends. Our hotel was huge and we quickly learnt that at night, prostitutes gathered in the lobby’s bars to entice hotel stayers…mainly by yelling out “sex, sex”. Not very subtle!

Day 2 Moscow

Today we started with a tour of the Kremlin, which had many cathedrals inside as well as Presidential offices.   We also visited Vladimir Lenin’s embalmed body, which was an interesting experience. We walked single file into this heavily guarded dark room, with Lenin’s body in the centre of the room, in a glass coffin. We walked the parameter before exiting.  Outside held the graves of many other Russian leaders, including Joseph Stalin. It was one of the most unusual experiences in all our travel, but well worth doing.  The rest of the morning was spent completing Arbat’s walking trip before parting ways with our tour guide for a free afternoon.

We used our free time to explore the underground, as we heard that some of their stations were beautifully decorated.  It took us a long time to navigate around their underground due to everything written in Cyrillic and at times, we had to ask for directions. Although our efforts were well rewarded as some stations had beautifully marble floors, stained glass features and chandeliers- a far cry from the dirty old London underground. We then headed back for another night of cards and drinking to farewell a fantastic trip to another unique and unforgettable country. A country well worth visiting.

 

 

About jamesandjulie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.