Existing Member?

Cruising the world

Switzerland

SWITZERLAND | Monday, 28 December 2009 | Views [578]

Wednesday 23/12/09

Hayley, Kirk, Jayne, Julie and I headed for Gatwick airport with our fingers crossed that our train would actually get to the airport due to the snow and cancelations the two days prior.  On arrival at the airport we crossed our fingers again in hope our plane would take off, as there had been about 250 flight cancellations two days before again because of the snow.  Our plane was delayed by 1.5 hrs but we were on our way to Switzerland (stocked with champagne from Duty Free) by about 9pm. We rolled into Geneva airport at 11pm and got onto a train and cruised into the city to our hotel for the night.

Thursday 24/12/09

We got up early and hoed into our Swiss breakfast, cheese, croissants, cereals and allsorts. These breakfast were standard throughout each of hotels in Switzerland. We then hit the city by foot and made our way to lake Geneva to have a look at the jet d’eau. We went for a walk around the city and headed into the old town for a look around. There were heaps of nice shops with really expensive stuff in them and lots of chocolate shops. We didn’t have long in Geneva, we needed to be at the airport at 1300 to pick up a rental car from the airport. So we headed back to the hotel and grabbed our bags and made our way back to the airport. On our way there Hayley and Julie picked up some macaroons which Julie and I discovered a great love for by the end of our trip. We picked up the car, which coincidently was upgraded to a Mercedes E350 that had only 250 kms on the clock, swwweeeeet!. We made our way east to Montreux where we were going to visit the Chateau De Chillon -a castle from the 12th century. It was quite amazing. By this time we were starving and headed to a restaurant just out of Montreux  on the shore of lake Geneva. After our late lunch we headed for Grindlewald. It was dark for most of the journey and we weren’t seeing much snow on our approach to Grindlewald (we did notice though the change in language from French to German on the road signs). About 20km out we noticed that the snow was getting heavier on the ground and by the time we got Grindlewald it was everywhere, wahoo its gunna be a white Christmas. We checked into our hotel, polished off 3 bottles of champagne and then went out for tea. We tried our first cheese fondue (which Julie ordered with a French “merci” at the end rather than a German “danke schon”) and Kirk and I got into a couple of wiessbiers. After this we made the most of the snow and had a snow fight.

Friday Christmas

We got up and opened the curtains to see what the view was like and it was awesome! There was snow and mountains all around- it was amazing. We grabbed a bottle of champagne and went to breakfast at the hotel (again bread, cereals, cheese). After breakfast we noticed it was snowing outside so Julie went and built a snowman while  I built a pyramid. We went back up to Hayley and Kirks room to play the present game and have some more champagne. Julie cleaned up the present game again scoring about 8 presents. We then headed off for our pre-booked Christmas lunch. We had lobster soup, schnitzel, rosti and ice cream. Yum! While we had lunch it started snowing which was cool for us all on Christmas day. We walked around Grindlewald for a bit while it was still snowing, which of course inevitably ended in another snowball fight. By this time it was dark  and I wanted to build an igloo. We started building it thinking it would be impossible to get a roof on it but with Kirk’s persistence the igloo was ready for a hobbit Eskimo to move in after an hour and a half. Tuckered out we went to a pub and had a mulled wine then headed indoors and ploughed our way through a whole lot of beer and wine.

Saturday 26/12/09

We had heard about a train and cable ride to the top of 2 of the surrounding mountains in the area. The lonely plant recommended we head up to the Jungfraujoch, but we had a recommendation from good friends and some locals that the Schilthorn had better panoramic views. After a hard decision Julie and I decided to head to the Schilthorn, while Kirk, Hayley and Jayne went to the Jungfraujoch. Julie and I made our way to the Schilthorn (3000m summit in the Bernese alps) and at the top a revolving restaurant, the Piza Gloria. We caught a train from Grindlewald to Lauterbrunnen, then a cable car up to Grutshalp. From here we walked to a little village in the mountains called Murren. This place was amazing, powder snow everywhere and the view was stunning. We watched a serious game of curling and some children ice-skating too.  From Murren we caught another cable car to Stechelburg (which we though from Murren was the Piza Gloria). In Stechelburg we found that we could now see the Piza Gloria/Schilthorn. The cable car ride between these two place was wicked, just a cable from one end to another across a steep valley. It was freezing up at the schilthorn (-4 degrees) but the views were as far as the eye could see. We looked over some large mountains, Eiger, Jungfrau- we could even see Mt Blanc, and views of Interlakken. We had lunch in the revolving resturant. I don’t know what I had but it was the one of the nicest things I have eaten, so nice Julie hoed into half of it!  It was some sort of cheese dumpling with bacon and pear dish-delish!  The Schilthorn was one of the definite highlights of the trip. After 2 hrs we started the journey back to Grindlewald and meet back up with Kirk, Hayley and Jayne and made our way off to Lucerne. On arrival at Lucerne we check in to the hotel, went out for tea and then hit the hay, we were bushed.

Sunday 27/12/09

We got up early and went for walk around Lucerne. First we stumbled across the chapel bridge (Kappelbrucke)which I had seen before in pictures. We had a look at the lion monument (a massive injured lion carved into a cliff side) and a fortress . We cruised down to the lake and took in some more sight seeing, but we were quite rushed as we had to head to Zurich to drop the car off. We headed off to Zurich and took a detour through Zug (which coincidently is where Paul Steele coach’s squash). Zug and Lucerne were both very picturesque and nice to visit. We then made our way to Zurich airport to drop off the Merc. After a little confusion about where to drop the car off and how to get to our hotel we made it. We were all hungry so we went to a Swiss restaurant for lunch. This is where Julie and I had our first Raclette. It was so tasty, we had veal, veal sausages, chicken, beef, assortment of veges, a sack of potatoes and of course a whole lot of Gruyere cheese. We cooked the meat on the top of the little cooker and melted the cheese on tray inside the cooker. It was delicious. I was stuffed but as usual Julie wanted more so she carved up an apple strudel. We then went for walk around Zurich and took in some more sights. It was very pretty at night but Zurich was little disappointing. It was well after dark and quite cold (raining) so we cruised back to the hotel and polished off the last of the Champagne and had a drink of bourbon for Alan (being 28th December in NZ time). We were all quite zapped and were ready to hit the hay.

Monday 28/12/09

Julie and I woke up quite excited as we were heading to Paris at 1300. We had our traditional Swiss breakfast and then went into town and finished off our sight seeing tour from the night before. We made our way to the Lindt factory which was a bit of a mission only to find out it was closed until the new year.  We made our way back to the hotel so Julie and I could pick up our backpacks and head off toward Zurich HB to catch our train. We detoured past a chocolate store a popped in and stocked up on about £12 of chocolate for the journey. We said our goodbyes to Kirk, Hayley and Jayne and headed on our way to Paris. 

About jamesandjulie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.