Existing Member?

No place like home...Thank goodness !!! For those of you that know us, you'll already know the story, basically we decided that we've both worked enough (I've been working for 11 years, Danielle for 11 Months) and that we deserve some long overdue R&R and decided to take in some sights....enjoy

Cold Cold Colorado

USA | Saturday, 1 December 2007 | Views [835]

Colorado - The Centennial State

Driving from Arizona to Colorado in one day was quite a mixture of landscapes, as soon as we hit Colorado it changed from desolate desert to snowy, rocky mountains. We were aiming to get to the Great Sand Dune NP for sunset, but literally missed it by about half an hour, so ended up staying in a town called Alamosa and eating at my beloved 'Chilis' instead!

The next day we rose relatively early and headed for the Sand Dunes, which from the road looked rather umimpressive and I was quite disappointed. HOWEVER, once we got into the park itself, they were huge! 30 miles squared to be precise! We (well I), obviously wanted to get some good pictures, and see the whole of the expanse, so we started the 1.5mile trek up the dunes to High Dune (aptly named!). Let me tell you - walking on sand is not easy at all - I had a complete tantrum going up the first one as every step I took I fell down a step and was literally tredding sand! After getting into the swing of sand climbing and reaching the top we were both pretty proud of ourselves and the view was amazing! Check out the photos!

From the dunes we stopped off at the UFO watchtower north of Hooper, although being there during the day we weren't actually planning to spot anything! It was such a funy little place though, which has apparently  had 44 sitings since it opened in 2000.

James then drove us all the way to Estes Park (the gateway to the Rocky Mountains) - he's a little darling isn't he?! We stopped for soup and chili at Fairplay (!) on the way and drove through Boulder, which we were planning to stay in, but couldn't find any motels! 

Tags: Mountains

 

About jamesanddan

Underwater us (we got in trouble for taking this picture as we didn't stay in our group !!)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.