Existing Member?

Accidental Journey Through Time

Angel & Vilma's Route 66 Gift Shop

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [1458] | Scholarship Entry

As I rolled along Interstate 40 heading to Kingman, I couldn't let go of the notion to explore a section of the illustrious Route 66. With my compulsion for colorful locales, I took the exit straight to Seligman, Arizona - population 456.

Rounding the corner into the small town, there it was, in all its audacity – a sign reading “Welcome to Seligman. Birthplace of Historic Route 66.”

“What gave them the right?” I wondered. What I didn't recognize at the time is that Seligman is the birthplace of Historic Route 66.

An open sign flashed in the window of one of the only businesses open on a sleepy Tuesday afternoon in early March.

I walked straight into history when I stepped into Angel & Vilma's Route 66 Gift Shop. Originally Angel's Barbershop and Pool Hall at the height of the Mother Road's prominence, it has since become a meeting place for travelers looking to experience a true part of American History.

There is no shortage of memorabilia to gawk at in the marvelously overcrowded gift shop. Mugs, signs and stickers vie for attention among the historic artifacts.

Paper money, license plates and homemade banners with Route 66 emblems lovingly hang from the ceiling. They are gifts inscribed to a man named Angel.

An Austrian license plate mounted on the ceiling is signed - “To a real legend of the 66. From Max & Werner – Austria 2003”.

The gift shop's previous life was one of late night beer, pool tables and haircuts by Angel the barber, for train personnel disembarking around 11 o'clock.

On a day in 1978, life changed completely when Interstate 40 bypassed Seligman.

In early 1987, Angel and others fought back. By November, the State of Arizona declared Historic Route 66 from Seligman to Kingman.

Today, the barbershop chair is still there and so is Angel. He has been interviewed thousands of times from people around the world.

Interest also came from a man named John Lasseter. He and his crew were combing Route 66 for stories for their new Pixar movie Cars. When they heard Angel speak so passionately about his beloved town, the fictitious town of Radiator Springs was created.

When I left the gift shop that afternoon, I did so knowing that caring people still hold onto our cherished memories. Now 88 years old, Angel still visits the shop every morning. Be sure you get there early before he heads off for his afternoon nap. I wish I had gotten a chance to meet him.

I'll be sure to keep taking those alternate routes, on the road and in life.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About ilivewhereiam


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.