Existing Member?

Holdens on the Road

Trekking the Great Wall of China

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 31 August 2015 | Views [376]

My husband, Paul, and I were so thrilled to be expecting our first baby.  We were both in our forties and excited about introducing our child to all the wonderful people, places and creatures in the world.  The nursery was ready and we had spent months choosing the absolute best for our baby.

 

And then the world came crashing down.  And life shifted.  We said hello to our beautiful boy and then goodbye.  All of our hopes and dreams for our future with him were gone.

 

In the bleakness of the days, weeks and months that followed, when everyone else’s lives went back to “normal”, we reached out to Sands.  The midwives had given us information about Sands, and desperate to talk with others who knew what we were going through, we gave them a call. I had many conversations with Rachel who had lost her first baby in similar circumstances and just talking with someone who could understand exactly how I was feeling was so hugely important.  I can’t put a price on the value of that.  Paul and I have also attended some of the Walk to Remember days in Brisbane and again felt that comfort of understanding and not being alone.  Saying Finn’s name at the Walk days also means a lot to us – we don’t get to say his name nearly enough.

 

Inspired by Turia Pitt, we have decided to fundraise for Sands, in honour of Finn, by trekking the Great Wall of China.  Our nephew, Ben, and good friend, Kate, are joining us on the trek and raising funds.  We were so honoured when they told us they were going to join us.  It’s such a significant acknowledgement of Finn’s life and makes us so proud.

 

Our trek starts on 24 October on the Great Wall, camping near villages along the way, and on the last day of the trek, 29 October – Finn’s 4th birthday – we summit Beijing Tower.  We think that’s a pretty cool way to celebrate our little man’s birthday.  Just the sort of thing we would have encouraged him to do.

Tags: china, great wall, sands, trekking

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.