Existing Member?

On Safari in Tanzania

Meeting the Bushmen of Lake Eyasi

TANZANIA | Wednesday, 20 May 2015 | Views [614] | Comments [9] | Scholarship Entry

“Jambo!” said the young hunter, as he reached out a hand, still bloody from the freshly-skinned baboon he had just deposited in camp. He couldn’t have been more than 15, wearing a circlet of baboon fur around his head, a strung-together hide vest, and a pair of red denim cutoffs, frayed at the edges and stained with blood.

“Jambo”, I replied, hesitating for only a moment before stretching my hand out in return.

It was a scene right out of Lord of the Flies, except that this wasn’t a work of fiction. It was my introduction to the Hadza people of Lake Eyasi, Tanzania, and this was a reality show of an entirely different kind.

In fact, this was no show at all. The Hadza didn’t know we were coming. As one of the few nomadic bush tribes left in Africa, they go where their hunting and gathering lifestyle leads them, a lifestyle that has remained unchanged for 10,000 years. They have no real village, no cell phones, and most of them barely speak the local language – which at least gave us one thing in common.

Today wasn’t the first time this Hadza tribe had met visitors, however, and it turned out there was to be a bit of a show after all. Gathering a few of the men, including “Red Shorts”, the village chief invited us on a demonstration hunt. Within half an hour of leaving camp, the hunters had brought down three birds with their bows and arrows, and immediately set about building a fire. No lighters or matches here, though: one of the men rubbed sticks together until the tinder caught and in no time the birds were cleaned, plucked and grilled (and yes, they tasted like chicken.)

As exciting as all of this was, we couldn’t help but feel like spectators. After all, how could we possibly connect with a people who lived a lifestyle so primitive and so completely foreign to us?

The moment finally came on the walk back: Red Shorts was admiring my hat, and gestured that he’d like to try it on (which I’d learned from similar encounters meant it would be a gift). Pointing between the sun, my face and his cutoffs, I tried to explain that without the hat, my face would turn as red as his shorts.

It was the chief who figured out what I was trying to say and in his own click language, explained to the others. Which started the entire group laughing.

And there it was.

Genuine smiles, and a good laugh shared between us all. Even if only for a moment, it was a moment of real human connection – and one I’ll never forget.

For me, it doesn’t get more real than that.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

Comments

1

Wonderful story, Jane!

  Charles McCool May 23, 2015 6:21 AM

2

Love this! I can only imagine what they were thinking when you were pointing at your face and his shorts - no doubt they had some other theories before the Chief stepped in! ;) Great story - I want more!

  Rick B May 23, 2015 12:08 PM

3

That was brilliant! You need to share more stories like this. For those of us who are chained to our desks, (and don't get out much) a few minutes of escape to another world goes a hell of a long way. Keep'em coming.

  Milan Sukunda May 23, 2015 1:15 PM

4

Loved this article! Travel really is about our human connection and finding common ground and what better bridge than a smile and a few good laughs. Your a terrific storyteller Jane - can't wait to read more!

  Marla & Kasha May 23, 2015 10:02 PM

5

A beautifully written story! Great Job

  Emily May 23, 2015 10:30 PM

6

So evocative and instructional as I'll bring an extra hat or two should I venture to that part of the world.

  Jane Chapman May 24, 2015 12:20 AM

7

Wow! What a story...I'm living vicariously through your adventure. You're far bolder than me!

  Michelle May 24, 2015 1:52 AM

8

Bullseye! Because this story gets right to the heart of why everyone should travel: the things that bind us all planet-wide -- and especially our shared desire to laugh. (At ourselves AND each other! :-)

  Kat May 24, 2015 4:17 AM

9

This great story shows that communication is more than just words,it's human connection.

  Wanda May 25, 2015 11:49 PM

About henkapini


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.