Existing Member?

Notes from Underground

Dundee Doldums

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 20 May 2015 | Views [126] | Scholarship Entry

The city of Dundee, Scotland is a treasure. The city of Discovery (their words). A true shining beacon of civilisation.
From the dour-faced citizens battling against the rains in the winter months to the happy, naive students flooding the city in the summer. Dundee truly has it all. The stubbornness and pride of its people trying hard to disguise its inferiority complex, much like that other Baldwin brother when compared to Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Yes Dundee is an enigma of a place. Great inventions and innovations like the Grand Theft Auto and the Lemmings games originated in this fair city. There may be something revealing in that.
Bombarded by fast food restaurants and sprawling supermarkets, the capitalist culture has sunk its claws into this one fine little town, yet the people have an almost steely optimism. A streak of independence runs through Dundonian blood. A thriving music scene, a blues festival, and an almost naive childlike belief that things will get better. There's ferocity in the passivity of the people.
Florence in the 15th Century, Paris in the 1920's, New York in the 60's. Dundee's angst and murmuring of revolution and creativity may well lead it to become the new standard bearer in the 21st century.
Also, we have a dragon statue in the middle of our town.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About hemingwaysucks


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.