Existing Member?

Tswaing Crater

My 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip entry

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [164] | Scholarship Entry

I was at the Tswaing Crater Gathering, an open air psy trance festival a couple of kilometers from a 200 000 year old crater in Pretoria. An amazing psychedelic festival in the middle of the harsh bushveld. Saturated UV hues contrasted against the alien landscape, it seemed as though I had landed in the middle of portal which promised to filled with bizarre experiences.

I had to explore.

I spent hours marveling at the beauty of nature, the shadows of the , encountering humans along their merry ways. I would greet them by saying: "hello human", perhaps stop and have a brief moment of interaction peppered with some comedic banter but then I’d be off, I couldn’t stay too long, I didn’t know why,I just knew that brief encounters would only be an option while I explore this alien world and discover myself.
A brief encounter and a separation, each bound on different paths.


The UV decor transformed the dance floor into a psychedelic forest with colours so vivid, they vibrated. The beautiful faces, the pixie-like attire, positive energies.
I saw nothing but beauty.
I noticed a woman standing near the tree, her platinum hair fell on her porcelain skin which were accompanied by sharp, dainty facial features all neatly packaged onto the tiniest of body frames. I had never seen anyone more beautiful. She looks like a fairy queen.Thats it! She IS the fairy queen! It was as though I had discovered the forest kingdom. Suddenly, people on the dance floor looked like elf guards, mushroom pixies, and serpents. It was as though these forest creatures were wearing human masks, and only under the enchantment of the Tswaing Crater would this fairy world reveal the itself.
It was lovely.

I found my friends back at the campsite and exploded with giddiness as I told them about my great discovery of the fairy kingdom.
The psy trance drop invades my ear canal.
"I MUST DANCE!" I vehemently proclaimed as the enchanting sounds of psy trance tightened its grip on my body forcing me to run.I found myself dodging rocks and thorn trees, almost colliding with a few humans in my manic attempt to be closer to the music.Overwhelming feelings of relief and euphoria engulfed my senses the second my feet touched the dance floor.
I’ve never been more compelled,I’ve never felt more connected.
Waves of intense feelings of oneness engulfed the festival like a tsunami of peace, love, unity and respect.
We look at each other and smile, no words are necessary.
This is where I belong.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About hellohuman


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.